News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teens are not fleeing Facebook
That Facebook is being deserted by teens in favor of alternative social networks has long been touted online. However, recent research in the U.S. by Forrester shows that teens remain the dominant demographic on the social network.
A survey of youngsters aged between 12 and 17 shows that Facebook continues to be a social network that teens regularly use. Almost 80% said they still use Facebook and are more active on it than any other including Pinterest and Twitter.
There's no escaping the fact that there has been some decrease in the number of teens using Facebook - and Forrester acknowledges this fact - but reports of a mass exodus have been widely misreported says Forrester researcher Nate Elliott in a recent blog post.
"Ivy League researchers have forecast that the service will be all but dead by 2017; President Obama recently claimed that young people "don't use Facebook anymore"; and when comScore recently reported that fewer college students were using Facebook, media outlets ran stories on the "social platforms college kids now prefer"", writes Elliott.
The reality is that Facebook is still more popular among teens than any other social network. Just 20% of teens are on WhatsApp and 40% on Snapchat. Furthermore, sites such as Pinterest, Tumblr and Vine all have about 30% teen adoption.
While YouTube has the highest teen adoption at over 80%, Facebook still has more "hyperusers", defined as the portion of monthly visitors who are there "all the time".
Image via Shutterstock
- SMBs: What to look for in your next device
- 3 ways analytics may be clouding your strategy
- Why brands need to know document search
- Half of cybersecurity experts say mobile payments are not secure
- Amazon the go-to place for consumers to search for products
- Which holiday season promos will motivate consumers to buy?
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...