News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teens are not fleeing Facebook
That Facebook is being deserted by teens in favor of alternative social networks has long been touted online. However, recent research in the U.S. by Forrester shows that teens remain the dominant demographic on the social network.
A survey of youngsters aged between 12 and 17 shows that Facebook continues to be a social network that teens regularly use. Almost 80% said they still use Facebook and are more active on it than any other including Pinterest and Twitter.
There's no escaping the fact that there has been some decrease in the number of teens using Facebook - and Forrester acknowledges this fact - but reports of a mass exodus have been widely misreported says Forrester researcher Nate Elliott in a recent blog post.
"Ivy League researchers have forecast that the service will be all but dead by 2017; President Obama recently claimed that young people "don't use Facebook anymore"; and when comScore recently reported that fewer college students were using Facebook, media outlets ran stories on the "social platforms college kids now prefer"", writes Elliott.
The reality is that Facebook is still more popular among teens than any other social network. Just 20% of teens are on WhatsApp and 40% on Snapchat. Furthermore, sites such as Pinterest, Tumblr and Vine all have about 30% teen adoption.
While YouTube has the highest teen adoption at over 80%, Facebook still has more "hyperusers", defined as the portion of monthly visitors who are there "all the time".
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile gaming makes people happier than socnets
- Ad Roundup: Experience key to releases, partnerships
- Top 3 SEO strategies to implement now
- 2030 and the death of Britain's town centers
- Buy online, pickup in-store not the 'smooth' process shoppers demand
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a malware offer
- Marketers believe AI will revolutionize industry, but lack understanding
- Expert IDs trends to watch in IT
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...