News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Coke or Pepsi? Budweiser or Carlsberg? Consumers unsure of official World Cup sponsors
Heavily football-themed advertising and marketing is making it hard for consumers to recognize an official sponsor of the World Cup, according to new data from GlobalWebIndex.
Brands that are not officially tied in with the FIFA World Cup are being perceived by many as being official sponsors. For example, many incorrectly believe Nike is an official sponsor and in the UK many think Carlsberg is the official World Cup beer when it is, in fact, Budweiser. While Coca-Cola is the official soft drink of the World Cup, many believe it to be Pepsi.
Furthermore, while MasterCard has not sponsored the World Cup since 2006, almost half of those surveyed by GlobalWebIndex thought they were sponsors of this year's tournament.
So, why the confusion? It appears that consumers are making a connection between heavily football-themed advertising campaigns among brands that have no official links with the World Cup.
"Nike, for example, with its ads featuring Ronaldo, Rooney, Neymar et al - was selected by nearly a third of people in the UK and US, as well as over 40% in Brazil," writes Jason Mander, Head of Trends at GlobalWebIndex, in a recent blog post.
"Similarly, a fifth in the UK and a third in Brazil believe that Samsung is a sponsor, no doubt due to its ads in which Ronaldo and Rooney appear once more, this time alongside Messi."
Image via Shutterstock
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....