News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Coke or Pepsi? Budweiser or Carlsberg? Consumers unsure of official World Cup sponsors
Heavily football-themed advertising and marketing is making it hard for consumers to recognize an official sponsor of the World Cup, according to new data from GlobalWebIndex.
Brands that are not officially tied in with the FIFA World Cup are being perceived by many as being official sponsors. For example, many incorrectly believe Nike is an official sponsor and in the UK many think Carlsberg is the official World Cup beer when it is, in fact, Budweiser. While Coca-Cola is the official soft drink of the World Cup, many believe it to be Pepsi.
Furthermore, while MasterCard has not sponsored the World Cup since 2006, almost half of those surveyed by GlobalWebIndex thought they were sponsors of this year's tournament.
So, why the confusion? It appears that consumers are making a connection between heavily football-themed advertising campaigns among brands that have no official links with the World Cup.
"Nike, for example, with its ads featuring Ronaldo, Rooney, Neymar et al - was selected by nearly a third of people in the UK and US, as well as over 40% in Brazil," writes Jason Mander, Head of Trends at GlobalWebIndex, in a recent blog post.
"Similarly, a fifth in the UK and a third in Brazil believe that Samsung is a sponsor, no doubt due to its ads in which Ronaldo and Rooney appear once more, this time alongside Messi."
Image via Shutterstock
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...