News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Coke or Pepsi? Budweiser or Carlsberg? Consumers unsure of official World Cup sponsors
Heavily football-themed advertising and marketing is making it hard for consumers to recognize an official sponsor of the World Cup, according to new data from GlobalWebIndex.
Brands that are not officially tied in with the FIFA World Cup are being perceived by many as being official sponsors. For example, many incorrectly believe Nike is an official sponsor and in the UK many think Carlsberg is the official World Cup beer when it is, in fact, Budweiser. While Coca-Cola is the official soft drink of the World Cup, many believe it to be Pepsi.
Furthermore, while MasterCard has not sponsored the World Cup since 2006, almost half of those surveyed by GlobalWebIndex thought they were sponsors of this year's tournament.
So, why the confusion? It appears that consumers are making a connection between heavily football-themed advertising campaigns among brands that have no official links with the World Cup.
"Nike, for example, with its ads featuring Ronaldo, Rooney, Neymar et al - was selected by nearly a third of people in the UK and US, as well as over 40% in Brazil," writes Jason Mander, Head of Trends at GlobalWebIndex, in a recent blog post.
"Similarly, a fifth in the UK and a third in Brazil believe that Samsung is a sponsor, no doubt due to its ads in which Ronaldo and Rooney appear once more, this time alongside Messi."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...