News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google acquires Spider.io to fight ad fraud
Google has secured Spider.io in its web of companies to help it in its fight against advertising fraud.
Approximately £6 billion (US$10 billion) a year is what online ad fraud costs advertisers and Google's latest acquisition of specialist ad fraud firm Spider.io, for an undisclosed sum, will add to Google's ad fraud fight.
Neal Mohan, Google's VP of display advertising says that, "By including Spider.io's fraud fighting expertise in our products, we can scale our efforts to weed out bad actors and improve the entire digital ecosystem".
Spider's speciality is identifying programmes that defraud advertisers through false traffic and other means and Google's first priority will be to include the technology in their display and video ad products.
Most notably, Spider.io came to the fore in March last year when it identified a botnet called Chameleon. That botnet was said to have cost advertisers $6 million in revenues.
Earlier this year, a survey by Solve Media revealed that the amount of wasted advertising dollars is expected to rise 22% from 2013 totaling a whopping $11.6 billion in 2014. Almost 6 in 10 (59%) of the 7,500 agency media buyers responding to the survey said bot traffic negatively affects online campaign performance and 41% said it leads to inefficiencies and steals advertising budgets.
Image via Shutterstock
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...