News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google acquires Spider.io to fight ad fraud
Google has secured Spider.io in its web of companies to help it in its fight against advertising fraud.
Approximately £6 billion (US$10 billion) a year is what online ad fraud costs advertisers and Google's latest acquisition of specialist ad fraud firm Spider.io, for an undisclosed sum, will add to Google's ad fraud fight.
Neal Mohan, Google's VP of display advertising says that, "By including Spider.io's fraud fighting expertise in our products, we can scale our efforts to weed out bad actors and improve the entire digital ecosystem".
Spider's speciality is identifying programmes that defraud advertisers through false traffic and other means and Google's first priority will be to include the technology in their display and video ad products.
Most notably, Spider.io came to the fore in March last year when it identified a botnet called Chameleon. That botnet was said to have cost advertisers $6 million in revenues.
Earlier this year, a survey by Solve Media revealed that the amount of wasted advertising dollars is expected to rise 22% from 2013 totaling a whopping $11.6 billion in 2014. Almost 6 in 10 (59%) of the 7,500 agency media buyers responding to the survey said bot traffic negatively affects online campaign performance and 41% said it leads to inefficiencies and steals advertising budgets.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...