News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google acquires Spider.io to fight ad fraud
Google has secured Spider.io in its web of companies to help it in its fight against advertising fraud.
Approximately £6 billion (US$10 billion) a year is what online ad fraud costs advertisers and Google's latest acquisition of specialist ad fraud firm Spider.io, for an undisclosed sum, will add to Google's ad fraud fight.
Neal Mohan, Google's VP of display advertising says that, "By including Spider.io's fraud fighting expertise in our products, we can scale our efforts to weed out bad actors and improve the entire digital ecosystem".
Spider's speciality is identifying programmes that defraud advertisers through false traffic and other means and Google's first priority will be to include the technology in their display and video ad products.
Most notably, Spider.io came to the fore in March last year when it identified a botnet called Chameleon. That botnet was said to have cost advertisers $6 million in revenues.
Earlier this year, a survey by Solve Media revealed that the amount of wasted advertising dollars is expected to rise 22% from 2013 totaling a whopping $11.6 billion in 2014. Almost 6 in 10 (59%) of the 7,500 agency media buyers responding to the survey said bot traffic negatively affects online campaign performance and 41% said it leads to inefficiencies and steals advertising budgets.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...