News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google acquires Spider.io to fight ad fraud
Google has secured Spider.io in its web of companies to help it in its fight against advertising fraud.
Approximately £6 billion (US$10 billion) a year is what online ad fraud costs advertisers and Google's latest acquisition of specialist ad fraud firm Spider.io, for an undisclosed sum, will add to Google's ad fraud fight.
Neal Mohan, Google's VP of display advertising says that, "By including Spider.io's fraud fighting expertise in our products, we can scale our efforts to weed out bad actors and improve the entire digital ecosystem".
Spider's speciality is identifying programmes that defraud advertisers through false traffic and other means and Google's first priority will be to include the technology in their display and video ad products.
Most notably, Spider.io came to the fore in March last year when it identified a botnet called Chameleon. That botnet was said to have cost advertisers $6 million in revenues.
Earlier this year, a survey by Solve Media revealed that the amount of wasted advertising dollars is expected to rise 22% from 2013 totaling a whopping $11.6 billion in 2014. Almost 6 in 10 (59%) of the 7,500 agency media buyers responding to the survey said bot traffic negatively affects online campaign performance and 41% said it leads to inefficiencies and steals advertising budgets.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...