News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Botnets to steal $11.6 billion from advertising budgets in 2014
Billions of dollars in advertising budgets could be wasted in 2014 due to the proliferation of botnets, according to new survey findings from Solve Media.
The amount of wasted advertising dollars is expected to rise 22% from 2013, according to Solve Media, totaling a whopping $11.6 billion. Almost 6 in 10 (59%) of the 7,500 agency media buyers responding to the survey said bot traffic negatively affects online campaign performance and 41% said it leads to inefficiencies and steals advertising budgets.
Solve Media CEO, Ari Jacoby, believes the problem will get worse before it gets better but he was encouraged by a 125% year-on-year increase in the number of online publishers that plan to implement anti-bot solutions in 2014 (34%).
"We were very surprised by these results," Jacoby said. "It indicates that the community is not only taking notice, but it's beginning to take action."
According to Solve Media's Q3 2013 report, more than half (51%) of all Internet traffic in the U.S. was fraudulent, a rise of 8% on Q2 2013 and the first time that Solve's figures have exceeded 50% and the amount of traffic generated by humans.
Proving that audiences are human is a vital criteria for marketers investing budgets in attracting real eyeballs. As Jacoby previously commented, "a bot can't buy your products or read your articles".
A warning to advertisers, ad networks and publishers has recently been issued by media security platform MdotLabs regarding an impression fraud threat from the Athena botnet.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...