News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forecast: 9% ecomm growth for SMBs through 2014 holidays
The big holiday sales forecasts are still a few weeks away, but small businesses should pay attention to an early addition. According to a Volusion prediction small and medium sized businesses will see at least 9% ecommerce growth through the 2014 holidays.
The Volusion data is built off SMB performance through the first half of 2014, which saw SMBs process more than $1.75 billion in ecommerce sales.
"As consumers continue to flock online for their holiday shopping needs, we predict another year of record-breaking sales for SMB retailers," said Clay Olivier, CEO, Volusion, Inc. "Although we've seen double-digit gains in previous years, growth of 9% in the 2014 holiday season demonstrates continued, healthy growth for smaller merchants."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Q2 2014 saw mobile commerce increase 23% for SMBs
• Arts/Crafts retailers saw 23% growth (Jan-June 2014)
• Home/Garder retailers saw 21% growth
• Webrooming and Showrooming are expected to help shoppers find local businesses
"The rapid growth of mobile sales for our SMB clients is telling of a larger industry trend around the importance of mobile for online retail," said Jason Woosley, VP of Product at Volusion, Inc. "One thing to keep in mind, however, is that mobile accounts for less than 15% of SMB ecommerce sales, with the overwhelming majority of purchases still coming from desktop devices, so retailers should focus on their overall brand and user experience to make the most of the 2014 season."
Another help for small businesses is the shortened timeframe - there are only 26 shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Where retailers should focus this holiday season
- Top 3 tips to create stronger video content
- Forecast: Holidays could be a boon to retailers
- 'Password fatigue' drives social login use
- Millennial-led SMBs defining new world order for marketing
- Online payment fraud costing U.S. merchants billions
- Online ad viewability in UK remains below 50%
- Mobile banking logins outpacing desktop
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....