News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forecast: 9% ecomm growth for SMBs through 2014 holidays
The big holiday sales forecasts are still a few weeks away, but small businesses should pay attention to an early addition. According to a Volusion prediction small and medium sized businesses will see at least 9% ecommerce growth through the 2014 holidays.
The Volusion data is built off SMB performance through the first half of 2014, which saw SMBs process more than $1.75 billion in ecommerce sales.
"As consumers continue to flock online for their holiday shopping needs, we predict another year of record-breaking sales for SMB retailers," said Clay Olivier, CEO, Volusion, Inc. "Although we've seen double-digit gains in previous years, growth of 9% in the 2014 holiday season demonstrates continued, healthy growth for smaller merchants."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Q2 2014 saw mobile commerce increase 23% for SMBs
• Arts/Crafts retailers saw 23% growth (Jan-June 2014)
• Home/Garder retailers saw 21% growth
• Webrooming and Showrooming are expected to help shoppers find local businesses
"The rapid growth of mobile sales for our SMB clients is telling of a larger industry trend around the importance of mobile for online retail," said Jason Woosley, VP of Product at Volusion, Inc. "One thing to keep in mind, however, is that mobile accounts for less than 15% of SMB ecommerce sales, with the overwhelming majority of purchases still coming from desktop devices, so retailers should focus on their overall brand and user experience to make the most of the 2014 season."
Another help for small businesses is the shortened timeframe - there are only 26 shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...