News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Why showrooming will be important over the 2012 holidays
Like it or not the showrooming trend isn't going away. As mobile devices become more prevalent, more shoppers are comparing prices via mobile while in-store. But this doesn't have to be a bad thing - in fact, there are ways to use showrooming to a brand's advantage.
Kristina: How can retailers use showrooming to thir advantage over the coming holiday season?
Eric Bosco, ChoiceStream COO: An important defense against 'showrooming' is go beyond response driven advertising to get consumers to their showroom, and advertise to make consumers aware of the unique benefits of purchasing the product locally. Obviously being price competitive, or being willing to partake in a price matching program, goes a long way. Some retailers might even encourage customers to showroom and match the price found online. If for business reasons a retailer can't be price competitive, then they should be actively advertising the value of other benefits such as service, warranty, custom fitting, and 30 day no hassle exchanges. These are also very powerful incentives to keep the consumer's business. For most retailers this means shifting their advertising messaging from "buy these products at our store" to "here's why you want to buy from us."
Kristina: What can brands do now to ensure they're presenting the right message to consumers?
Eric: Many holiday shopping decisions that deal with what to buy are made at the last minute, hence the typical pattern of heavy advertising from black Friday to Christmas. However, the decision of where to buy due to perks, service, and discounts is a longer awareness cycle. I'd encourage retailers to start running ad campaigns immediately to raise the awareness of why people should by a particular product FROM THEM.
You can read part 1 of my chat with Eric and ChoiceStream, including his thoughts on brand safety over the holidays here.
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...