News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Students display overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook
University students in the UK aren't interested in mixing business with pleasure on Facebook. As youth marketing firm, The Beans Group, has found, youngsters use the social network for entertainment and chatting with friends, and not a place to engage with businesses.
Just about every university student in the UK is on Facebook (97%). A marketer's dream? Only if the right approach is used.
The Beans Group's survey of 1,698 university students in the UK found an overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook. Not only does the vast majority (91%) not want to use Facebook to make online purchases, 39% are not interested in talking to brands.
When asked what they use Facebook for, students cited chatting with friends (94%) and entertainment (53%). Only 13% said they use it to obtain offers and discount and 6% to find out information about brands.
According to Luke Mitchell, Head of Youth Strategy at The Beans Group, students are "very protective of it as an entirely social space where business and marketing doesn't belong".
However, brands that are respectful of how their student audience uses the social network, and that provide relevant and entertaining content, have a prime opportunity to engage this demographic.
The survey forms part of The Bean Group's soon-to-be-released "Youth Insight Report".
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...