News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Students display overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook
University students in the UK aren't interested in mixing business with pleasure on Facebook. As youth marketing firm, The Beans Group, has found, youngsters use the social network for entertainment and chatting with friends, and not a place to engage with businesses.
Just about every university student in the UK is on Facebook (97%). A marketer's dream? Only if the right approach is used.
The Beans Group's survey of 1,698 university students in the UK found an overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook. Not only does the vast majority (91%) not want to use Facebook to make online purchases, 39% are not interested in talking to brands.
When asked what they use Facebook for, students cited chatting with friends (94%) and entertainment (53%). Only 13% said they use it to obtain offers and discount and 6% to find out information about brands.
According to Luke Mitchell, Head of Youth Strategy at The Beans Group, students are "very protective of it as an entirely social space where business and marketing doesn't belong".
However, brands that are respectful of how their student audience uses the social network, and that provide relevant and entertaining content, have a prime opportunity to engage this demographic.
The survey forms part of The Bean Group's soon-to-be-released "Youth Insight Report".
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...