News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Students display overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook
University students in the UK aren't interested in mixing business with pleasure on Facebook. As youth marketing firm, The Beans Group, has found, youngsters use the social network for entertainment and chatting with friends, and not a place to engage with businesses.
Just about every university student in the UK is on Facebook (97%). A marketer's dream? Only if the right approach is used.
The Beans Group's survey of 1,698 university students in the UK found an overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook. Not only does the vast majority (91%) not want to use Facebook to make online purchases, 39% are not interested in talking to brands.
When asked what they use Facebook for, students cited chatting with friends (94%) and entertainment (53%). Only 13% said they use it to obtain offers and discount and 6% to find out information about brands.
According to Luke Mitchell, Head of Youth Strategy at The Beans Group, students are "very protective of it as an entirely social space where business and marketing doesn't belong".
However, brands that are respectful of how their student audience uses the social network, and that provide relevant and entertaining content, have a prime opportunity to engage this demographic.
The survey forms part of The Bean Group's soon-to-be-released "Youth Insight Report".
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...