News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Students display overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook
University students in the UK aren't interested in mixing business with pleasure on Facebook. As youth marketing firm, The Beans Group, has found, youngsters use the social network for entertainment and chatting with friends, and not a place to engage with businesses.
Just about every university student in the UK is on Facebook (97%). A marketer's dream? Only if the right approach is used.
The Beans Group's survey of 1,698 university students in the UK found an overriding dislike for marketing on Facebook. Not only does the vast majority (91%) not want to use Facebook to make online purchases, 39% are not interested in talking to brands.
When asked what they use Facebook for, students cited chatting with friends (94%) and entertainment (53%). Only 13% said they use it to obtain offers and discount and 6% to find out information about brands.
According to Luke Mitchell, Head of Youth Strategy at The Beans Group, students are "very protective of it as an entirely social space where business and marketing doesn't belong".
However, brands that are respectful of how their student audience uses the social network, and that provide relevant and entertaining content, have a prime opportunity to engage this demographic.
The survey forms part of The Bean Group's soon-to-be-released "Youth Insight Report".
- Ecommerce Roundup: As digital increases, so does fraud
- Survey: Health Lifestyle grabs consumer interest
- Alibaba forms alliance with big brands to fight counterfeiting
- Expert: What marketers need to know about RegTech
- Mobile 'click injection' fraud forecast to become prevalent in 2017
- Less than half of consumers satisfied with retail app experience
- Study: Order struggles a problem for B2B
- Ad Roundup: Solution expansions, investments
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...