News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pinterest drives almost as much traffic as Twitter, Google
The image-based social network is driving referral traffic to websites and blogs at an incredible rate of knots, ranking above the likes of Google+ and YouTube, according to new statistics from social firm Shareaholic.
The image-based social network Pinterest has been around for a couple of years but it's only in the last couple of months that interest in the virtual pinboard social network has soared.
In December, 2011, Hitwise listed Pinterest as one of the Web's Top 10 and Time listed it in its Top 5 social networks of 2011. comScore reports that as of November, 2011, Pinterest had almost 5 million users.
New statistics, recently released by social sharing tools firm Shareaholic, reveal that Pinterest is pushing up the rankings to drive almost as much referral traffic (3.6%) as Twitter (3.61%) and Google (3.62%).
In fact, Pinterest now drives more referral traffic than YouTube (1.05%), Reddit (0.83%) and Google+ (0.22%).
The successful use of Pinterest by business will depend on many factors including whether the product or service offered "fits" with the visual aspect of the social network. Other than that, the possibilities of Pinterest use are limited only by the imagination.
Contests, promotions, new product development, consumer feedback, recruitment or brand awareness can all be developed using Pinterest, and more besides.
Success stories are already peppering the press including the 1million/month page views being achieved by 3-month old luxury lifestyle search engine LuxeFinds.com and the 10 million page views crafter Kate of The Small Things blog received.
Shareaholic's referral traffic data is based on aggregated data from more than 200,000 publishers that reach more than 260 million unique monthly visitors each month.
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...