News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pinterest drives almost as much traffic as Twitter, Google
The image-based social network is driving referral traffic to websites and blogs at an incredible rate of knots, ranking above the likes of Google+ and YouTube, according to new statistics from social firm Shareaholic.
The image-based social network Pinterest has been around for a couple of years but it's only in the last couple of months that interest in the virtual pinboard social network has soared.
In December, 2011, Hitwise listed Pinterest as one of the Web's Top 10 and Time listed it in its Top 5 social networks of 2011. comScore reports that as of November, 2011, Pinterest had almost 5 million users.
New statistics, recently released by social sharing tools firm Shareaholic, reveal that Pinterest is pushing up the rankings to drive almost as much referral traffic (3.6%) as Twitter (3.61%) and Google (3.62%).
In fact, Pinterest now drives more referral traffic than YouTube (1.05%), Reddit (0.83%) and Google+ (0.22%).
The successful use of Pinterest by business will depend on many factors including whether the product or service offered "fits" with the visual aspect of the social network. Other than that, the possibilities of Pinterest use are limited only by the imagination.
Contests, promotions, new product development, consumer feedback, recruitment or brand awareness can all be developed using Pinterest, and more besides.
Success stories are already peppering the press including the 1million/month page views being achieved by 3-month old luxury lifestyle search engine LuxeFinds.com and the 10 million page views crafter Kate of The Small Things blog received.
Shareaholic's referral traffic data is based on aggregated data from more than 200,000 publishers that reach more than 260 million unique monthly visitors each month.
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....