News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online privacy real concern for 90% of US Internet users
New figures released on February 13 by TRUSTe reveal the vast majority of US consumers have concerns about their online privacy and are wary of doing business with businesses they believe don't have adequate protection in place.
It pays to be cautious online with the amount of phishing scams and dodgy websites. TRUSTe's inaugural Consumer Confidence Edition, a new quarterly index from the privacy management firm, shows that the vast majority of US online users have real concerns.
A whopping 90% of consumers were found to worry about their online privacy be it often, frequently or sometimes. Just 10% never worry about it. Forty one percent disagreed with the statement "I trust most companies with my personal information online" and 12% strongly disagreed.
The impact on business is obvious. TRUSTe's survey found that 88% somewhat or strongly agreed they would not do business with a company they believed did not protect their online privacy.
"Mobile, apps, social media and behavioral targeting are all making privacy issues increasingly front of mind for consumers," said Jules Polonesky, Director of the Future of Privacy Forum. "By providing a high-level ongoing pulse on the market - through the viewpoint of the consumer - TRUSTe's Consumer Confidence Privacy Index yields valuable insights into how customers are responding to changing privacy issues and, in turn, businesses' efforts to address them."
The full findings are illustrated in an infographic that can be viewed here.
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
- UK brands fail to improve customer service response rates
- 53% of marketers crave more customer data
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...