News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online privacy real concern for 90% of US Internet users
New figures released on February 13 by TRUSTe reveal the vast majority of US consumers have concerns about their online privacy and are wary of doing business with businesses they believe don't have adequate protection in place.
It pays to be cautious online with the amount of phishing scams and dodgy websites. TRUSTe's inaugural Consumer Confidence Edition, a new quarterly index from the privacy management firm, shows that the vast majority of US online users have real concerns.
A whopping 90% of consumers were found to worry about their online privacy be it often, frequently or sometimes. Just 10% never worry about it. Forty one percent disagreed with the statement "I trust most companies with my personal information online" and 12% strongly disagreed.
The impact on business is obvious. TRUSTe's survey found that 88% somewhat or strongly agreed they would not do business with a company they believed did not protect their online privacy.
"Mobile, apps, social media and behavioral targeting are all making privacy issues increasingly front of mind for consumers," said Jules Polonesky, Director of the Future of Privacy Forum. "By providing a high-level ongoing pulse on the market - through the viewpoint of the consumer - TRUSTe's Consumer Confidence Privacy Index yields valuable insights into how customers are responding to changing privacy issues and, in turn, businesses' efforts to address them."
The full findings are illustrated in an infographic that can be viewed here.
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...