News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online privacy real concern for 90% of US Internet users
New figures released on February 13 by TRUSTe reveal the vast majority of US consumers have concerns about their online privacy and are wary of doing business with businesses they believe don't have adequate protection in place.
It pays to be cautious online with the amount of phishing scams and dodgy websites. TRUSTe's inaugural Consumer Confidence Edition, a new quarterly index from the privacy management firm, shows that the vast majority of US online users have real concerns.
A whopping 90% of consumers were found to worry about their online privacy be it often, frequently or sometimes. Just 10% never worry about it. Forty one percent disagreed with the statement "I trust most companies with my personal information online" and 12% strongly disagreed.
The impact on business is obvious. TRUSTe's survey found that 88% somewhat or strongly agreed they would not do business with a company they believed did not protect their online privacy.
"Mobile, apps, social media and behavioral targeting are all making privacy issues increasingly front of mind for consumers," said Jules Polonesky, Director of the Future of Privacy Forum. "By providing a high-level ongoing pulse on the market - through the viewpoint of the consumer - TRUSTe's Consumer Confidence Privacy Index yields valuable insights into how customers are responding to changing privacy issues and, in turn, businesses' efforts to address them."
The full findings are illustrated in an infographic that can be viewed here.
- What drives reward program spending
- Forecast: Local media to slide mobile
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...