News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Companies struggle to manage masses of social media accounts
How many social media pies does your company have its finger in? A new report from research firm Altimeter Group finds many companies are struggling to manage a massive number of social media accounts.
The report, authored by Altimeter analyst Jermiah Owyang, found that large companies and brands juggle an average of 178 business-related social media accounts.
This astounding number includes accounts with Facebook, blogs, LinkedIn, forums/message boards and YouTube but not individual employee accounts. The report shows that, on average, companies manage 39 Twitter accounts, 32 blogs, 30 Facebook Pages and 29 LinkedIn accounts.
The problem lies with managing such a fragmented and diverse explosion of communication. An uncoordinated approach leads to customer confusion and an inconsistent experience yet companies simply haven't implemented goal-driven and coherent social media strategies.
The resulting chaos, according to Forbes contributor Chris Perry, is down to "too many firms trying to make an omelet before they learn how to fry an egg by launching accounts and campaigns without systems in place or governance to keep things on track."
The full report can be read on Jeremiah Owyang's blog.
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...