News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Coupons boost positive feelings toward brands, finds study
Do coupons motivate consumers to make a purchase decision? Very much so, according to new research conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of WhaleShark Media, and active coupon users are more open to trying new brands, too.
When asked if coupons or coupon codes helped to "close the deal" when making a purchase decision a whopping 88% of consumers said yes, they do. In fact, 6 in 10 of the 504 study participants said they would be more likely to reconsider a purchase they had previously discounted if they received a coupon or discount code.
Another interesting finding is that participants in the study revealed coupons give them the warm fuzzies and are "brand-enhancing". Most (88%) said they have a more positive feeling towards companies that give them coupons and 80% say it boosts a company's image in their eyes.
And don't for one minute think that coupon users have shallow pockets or stick to known brands. Those who use coupons the most were found to spend over $800 more each year than less active coupon users - $1,850 vs. $1,025. Furthermore, almost three-quarters (74%) of active coupon users could be persuaded to try out a new brand if they were to receive a coupon versus just over half (54%) of less active users.
"For online retailers, coupon users represent a large and powerful customer base with new ideas and high potential. As such, coupons must be a prominent aspect of any e-tail promotional strategy, offering online marketers a unique opportunity to reinvent the coupon in the minds of modern consumers," said Matt Herzog of the Business Development Group at Rue La La and SmartBargains.
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...