News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Coupons boost positive feelings toward brands, finds study
Do coupons motivate consumers to make a purchase decision? Very much so, according to new research conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of WhaleShark Media, and active coupon users are more open to trying new brands, too.
When asked if coupons or coupon codes helped to "close the deal" when making a purchase decision a whopping 88% of consumers said yes, they do. In fact, 6 in 10 of the 504 study participants said they would be more likely to reconsider a purchase they had previously discounted if they received a coupon or discount code.
Another interesting finding is that participants in the study revealed coupons give them the warm fuzzies and are "brand-enhancing". Most (88%) said they have a more positive feeling towards companies that give them coupons and 80% say it boosts a company's image in their eyes.
And don't for one minute think that coupon users have shallow pockets or stick to known brands. Those who use coupons the most were found to spend over $800 more each year than less active coupon users - $1,850 vs. $1,025. Furthermore, almost three-quarters (74%) of active coupon users could be persuaded to try out a new brand if they were to receive a coupon versus just over half (54%) of less active users.
"For online retailers, coupon users represent a large and powerful customer base with new ideas and high potential. As such, coupons must be a prominent aspect of any e-tail promotional strategy, offering online marketers a unique opportunity to reinvent the coupon in the minds of modern consumers," said Matt Herzog of the Business Development Group at Rue La La and SmartBargains.
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...