News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
20% of mobile phones will have mobile wallet functionality by 2018
A new report from Juniper Research forecasts that one in five of all mobile phones will include mobile wallet functionality by 2018 compared with less than 10% at the end of 2013.
In their newest report, "Mobile Wallets: Strategies for Developed and Developing Markets 2014-2019", Juniper predicts significant growth in mobile wallet functionality. That growth will be driven by Stored Value Accounts which are "increasingly enabling first time financial access for unbanked individuals" along with a rise in deployments across sub-Saharan Africa, developing Asia and Latin America.
Juniper also predicts that mobile wallets will get a significant boost from the anticipated launch of an Apple iWallet this year and via Host Card Emulation-based NFC services.
The mobile wallet profile would also be boosted via high-profile P2P (Person to Person) payment initiatives, says Windsor Holden, author of the report. Such initiatives include the UK's Paym and start-ups such as Dwolla and Venmo in the U.S.
"While P2P mobile payment services have struggled to gain traction in developed markets, financial institutions are keen to commit to them as they can serve as an attractive value-add to consumers in an increasingly cashless society," said Holden.
Earlier this year, a study from the Yankee Group revealed that 67% of Americans now own a smartphone, but few use them as mobile wallets to make in-store payments. In the last three months, just 16% of mobile phone owners had used their device to make a payment in-store.
Even among those using mobile wallets almost three quarters (73%) were not using them very frequently - fewer than five times per month.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...