News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of smartphone app downloads in 2013 will be Android
During 2013, smartphone app downloads will reach 56 billion with Google's Android accounting for more than Apple's iOS, according to new figures released by ABI Research.
Google's Android will account for 58% of app downloads during 2013, with Apple's iOS accounting for just 33%, predicts ABI Research. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows Phone and Blackberry are way behind with 4% and 3% respectively.
However, when it comes to tablet apps, iPad's take the lead with a whopping 75% of the 14 billion apps downloaded running on iOS. In comparison, Android will account for 17%, excluding Kindle Fire. Amazon tablets will account for 4% and Windows tablets just 2% of the year's downloads.
"Arguably the most pressing issue for Google is how much of this handset momentum will ultimately trickle down to tablets, where Apple is holding the fort remarkably well," said Aapo Markkanen, Senior analyst with ABI Research.
"We would argue that in this context Google will actually benefit from the efforts by Amazon, since the presence of Kindle Fire adds a lot of critical 'code mass' to Android's proposition as a platform for tablet applications. It is worth remembering that Android's so-called fragmentation problem isn't only a problem, but that it has a certain upside as well,"
A recent Gartner study forecasts that global app revenues will reach the heady heights of $25 billion this year - a 62% rise on 2012.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...