News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of smartphone app downloads in 2013 will be Android
During 2013, smartphone app downloads will reach 56 billion with Google's Android accounting for more than Apple's iOS, according to new figures released by ABI Research.
Google's Android will account for 58% of app downloads during 2013, with Apple's iOS accounting for just 33%, predicts ABI Research. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows Phone and Blackberry are way behind with 4% and 3% respectively.
However, when it comes to tablet apps, iPad's take the lead with a whopping 75% of the 14 billion apps downloaded running on iOS. In comparison, Android will account for 17%, excluding Kindle Fire. Amazon tablets will account for 4% and Windows tablets just 2% of the year's downloads.
"Arguably the most pressing issue for Google is how much of this handset momentum will ultimately trickle down to tablets, where Apple is holding the fort remarkably well," said Aapo Markkanen, Senior analyst with ABI Research.
"We would argue that in this context Google will actually benefit from the efforts by Amazon, since the presence of Kindle Fire adds a lot of critical 'code mass' to Android's proposition as a platform for tablet applications. It is worth remembering that Android's so-called fragmentation problem isn't only a problem, but that it has a certain upside as well,"
A recent Gartner study forecasts that global app revenues will reach the heady heights of $25 billion this year - a 62% rise on 2012.
- Expert: Where retailers should focus this holiday season
- Top 3 tips to create stronger video content
- Forecast: Holidays could be a boon to retailers
- 'Password fatigue' drives social login use
- Millennial-led SMBs defining new world order for marketing
- Online payment fraud costing U.S. merchants billions
- Online ad viewability in UK remains below 50%
- Mobile banking logins outpacing desktop
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....