News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of smartphone app downloads in 2013 will be Android
During 2013, smartphone app downloads will reach 56 billion with Google's Android accounting for more than Apple's iOS, according to new figures released by ABI Research.
Google's Android will account for 58% of app downloads during 2013, with Apple's iOS accounting for just 33%, predicts ABI Research. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows Phone and Blackberry are way behind with 4% and 3% respectively.
However, when it comes to tablet apps, iPad's take the lead with a whopping 75% of the 14 billion apps downloaded running on iOS. In comparison, Android will account for 17%, excluding Kindle Fire. Amazon tablets will account for 4% and Windows tablets just 2% of the year's downloads.
"Arguably the most pressing issue for Google is how much of this handset momentum will ultimately trickle down to tablets, where Apple is holding the fort remarkably well," said Aapo Markkanen, Senior analyst with ABI Research.
"We would argue that in this context Google will actually benefit from the efforts by Amazon, since the presence of Kindle Fire adds a lot of critical 'code mass' to Android's proposition as a platform for tablet applications. It is worth remembering that Android's so-called fragmentation problem isn't only a problem, but that it has a certain upside as well,"
A recent Gartner study forecasts that global app revenues will reach the heady heights of $25 billion this year - a 62% rise on 2012.
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...