News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than half of smartphone app downloads in 2013 will be Android
During 2013, smartphone app downloads will reach 56 billion with Google's Android accounting for more than Apple's iOS, according to new figures released by ABI Research.
Google's Android will account for 58% of app downloads during 2013, with Apple's iOS accounting for just 33%, predicts ABI Research. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows Phone and Blackberry are way behind with 4% and 3% respectively.
However, when it comes to tablet apps, iPad's take the lead with a whopping 75% of the 14 billion apps downloaded running on iOS. In comparison, Android will account for 17%, excluding Kindle Fire. Amazon tablets will account for 4% and Windows tablets just 2% of the year's downloads.
"Arguably the most pressing issue for Google is how much of this handset momentum will ultimately trickle down to tablets, where Apple is holding the fort remarkably well," said Aapo Markkanen, Senior analyst with ABI Research.
"We would argue that in this context Google will actually benefit from the efforts by Amazon, since the presence of Kindle Fire adds a lot of critical 'code mass' to Android's proposition as a platform for tablet applications. It is worth remembering that Android's so-called fragmentation problem isn't only a problem, but that it has a certain upside as well,"
A recent Gartner study forecasts that global app revenues will reach the heady heights of $25 billion this year - a 62% rise on 2012.
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...