News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: Over half U.S. mobile users own smartphones
New research by the American Life and Pew Internet Project shows that smartphone owners now outnumber their feature phone counterparts.
According to the survey, nearly half (46%) of Americans aged 18 and older own a smartphone as of February, 2012, up from 36% in May, 2011. The results also show that 41% owned a basic mobile phone, down from 48% in May last year and 12% did not own any type of mobile device, down from 17% in May, 2011.
According to Pew, "Nearly every major demographic group-men and women, younger and middle-aged adults, urban and rural residents, the wealthy and the less well-off-experienced a notable uptick in smartphone penetration over the last year."
The largest growth in smartphone ownership and use was among those within the lowest income bracket. Households with an income of $30,000 or less a year saw a 12% increase.
An analysis of the platforms being used reveals around 20% of all American mobile phone users own an Android OS-based phone, slightly more than the 19% of iOS users. Just 6% used Blackberry RIM, down from 10% in May last year.
In Europe usage is also rising. Smartphone use in the UK jumped 15% from 30% to 45% between January and October last year, according to a study commissioned by Google. That compares to a rise of 7% in the U.S. to 38%, 11% rise to 38% in France, 5% rise to 23% in Germany and up 11% in Japan to 17%.
- Study IDs how retailers can compete with Amazon
- Expert: How to determine if calls are leads or not
- Expert: Travel brands need responsive design
- Poor advertising among travel brands hinders data collection
- Unplug for your health and mental well-being, urges parenting website
- Questionable activity on social media turns consumers away from brands
- Study: Still a disconnect between data, growth
- Expert: How SMBs can be more productive
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...