News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
With rise of connected Gen Y, retailers must be fit for the future
The rise of the Gen Y shopper, mass adoption of smartphones and advances in technology mean that the path purchase is well trodden by connected shoppers, says Savvy in a report that warns retailers and brands to keep up.
Generation Y, as a group of shoppers, is fast becoming the prime target of retailers and brands. While they currently make up around a third of shoppers, within five years they will account for 47%.
And, this group of shoppers is always connected thanks to their smartphones. According to new research from Savvy, eight out of ten say they interact with their smartphone multiples times each hour and 97% are active on social media. Meanwhile, just 55% had read a printed newspaper during the month previous to the study.
However, while Generation Y may be a highly connected group, Savvy emphasizes that retailers and brands should also recognise that older shoppers are also connected. In fact, 80% of all shoppers own a smartphone, 86% access social media, and 61% have searched for a product using a search engine in the past month.
"The rapid rise of the connected shopper reflects the enormous influence technology now has in our lives as shoppers - digital media inspires us, is our go-to place for product research and, in many cases, is where we buy products," says Alastair Lockhart, Insight Director at Savvy Marketing. "Shopper behavior is evolving more quickly than ever before, and the onus is now firmly on retailers and brands to keep up and be fit for the future."
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...