News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
Shoppers around the globe are signing up for new subscription services - everything from food to monthly beauty regimens. An expert with Digital River identifies how brands can prepare their products or services for the subscription economy.
Understand what 'online selling' is really about
"[Retailers must] make a shift from monetizing products themselves to monetizing relationships and experiences. Relationships between brands and consumers don't end with the sale anymore, they begin in earnest after the first transaction. Building that experience and monetizing the process is key, said James Gagliardi, Digital River. "Companies must consider how your product can support a service or become a service and vice versa. Being able to adapt and be creative about products and services is crucial, as the experience-driven service model for everything from televisions to razor blades disrupt and transform the world of ecommerce around us."
Remember to make subscriptions simple
"Simplicity is key," said Gagliardi. "Subscriptions are supposed to not only provide experiences and establish fruitful relationships between brands and consumers but also make life easier. The consumer of today values time and freedom above all else. To be successful, the subscription needs to offer enjoyable and consistent ongoing value to the end user. Additionally, access to the product or service needs to be seamless, with simplicity in packaging and delivery."
Continue to fine-tune the system for recurring charges
"Be ready to fine tune your macro infrastructure as recurring transactions begin to dominate the marketplace. The back-end technologies and processes required to manage recurring transactions are not to be underestimated. Failing to put in place the right infrastructure can result in a slow death as renewals stagnate and profits drop," said Gagliardi.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...