News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Detailed product information ranks above reviews, price in decision to buy
What quality of product information is needed to motivate an online shopper to hit the buy button? The results of a new study from product content management platform Salsify will guide you.
Most (90%) of today's consumers shop online and almost all (88%) expect product information to be accurate, rich and complete if they are to consider hitting the 'buy button. In fact, 0survey of more than 1,000 shoppers in the U.S. found that detailed product descriptions ranked first in regards to a consumer's decision to make a purchase, higher than reviews (second place) and price (third place).
"Consumers are naturally very price-conscious," said Jason Purcell, co-founder and CEO at Salsify. "But when making purchasing decisions, the research supported what we already believed to be true - strong product content is a critical factor to "buy".
Specifically, 66% of respondents said they require product content to contain at least three product images and 82% want to be able to read at least three reviews.
Perhaps the most dominant online shoppers today - Millennials - report that product content is "extremely important"" to their decision to make a purchase. They are 40% more likely to say so than any other group.
Furthermore, in their social world, Millennials are highly influenced by the experiences and opinions of others and are 60% more likely than any other group to purchase products based on a friend's social post and nearly three quarters (72%) are more likely to purchase based on photos of others who have used it. Millennials are also 50% more likely to rank ratings and reviews as the most important factor when deciding which website to buy from.
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
- Forecast: Retail to show steady growth through 2017
- Report: Mobile CTOs down YoY
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...