News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile commerce boosts e-commerce spending in Q2 2014
Mobile commerce is helping to improve overall ecommerce spending figures, according to new data released by comScore, despite mobile commerce remaining a small percentage of total digital commerce.
Mobile commerce growth accelerated rapidly in the second quarter of this year, rising 47% compared to its usual growth rate of 20-something. Mobile commerce growth significantly outpaced both total discretionary retail (+3%) and desktop-based ecommerce (+10%).
"Even though the 47% growth rate is impressive, m-commerce as a percentage of total digital commerce was not exceptionally high at 11.1% - it was just high relative to previous Q2s, which were soft for m-commerce relative to other quarters," writes comScore's Andrew Lipsman on the company blog.
The important of tablets to m-commerce was also apparent from comScore's data. Historically, it is smartphones that have accounted for the lion's share of m-commerce spending at more than 60% but the rapid growth in tablet ownership saw tablets account for 46% in the second quarter of 2014 - a 75% YoY growth rate.
According to Lipsman, it is "highly unlikely" that growth rates in the 40% range will be seen during the remainder of 2014 and that they will likely remain in the 30% range.
"If that happens, then 2014 m-commerce spending looks to be headed for around $35 billion - not far behind the size of the entire digital advertising market," he concludes. "As m-commerce grows into a more mature transactional medium over the next few years, it's clear that omni-channel marketing will become an even more important - and likely more challenging - issue for marketers."
Image via Shutterstock
- Unique products, better prices motivates cross-border ecommerce
- Gen Z keen to engage with mobile video
- Expert: How to determine if a subscription service is good business
- Ad Roundup: Targeting key for video, digital products
- Top 3 tips to create speech analytics strategy
- Snapchat rumored to be rolling out behavioral targeting for advertisers
- Working 9-5 becoming a thing of the past?
- Accordant Media: 151% increase in global programmatic auction volume
Featured White Papers
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Content Marketing Today
Great content shows that you understand the customer and their problems and that you want and are able to help...
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...
- Key Tools for Engagement Marketing
Dig into the concept of digital marketing and how to be successful in today's modern, complex business landscape...