News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile commerce boosts e-commerce spending in Q2 2014
Mobile commerce is helping to improve overall ecommerce spending figures, according to new data released by comScore, despite mobile commerce remaining a small percentage of total digital commerce.
Mobile commerce growth accelerated rapidly in the second quarter of this year, rising 47% compared to its usual growth rate of 20-something. Mobile commerce growth significantly outpaced both total discretionary retail (+3%) and desktop-based ecommerce (+10%).
"Even though the 47% growth rate is impressive, m-commerce as a percentage of total digital commerce was not exceptionally high at 11.1% - it was just high relative to previous Q2s, which were soft for m-commerce relative to other quarters," writes comScore's Andrew Lipsman on the company blog.
The important of tablets to m-commerce was also apparent from comScore's data. Historically, it is smartphones that have accounted for the lion's share of m-commerce spending at more than 60% but the rapid growth in tablet ownership saw tablets account for 46% in the second quarter of 2014 - a 75% YoY growth rate.
According to Lipsman, it is "highly unlikely" that growth rates in the 40% range will be seen during the remainder of 2014 and that they will likely remain in the 30% range.
"If that happens, then 2014 m-commerce spending looks to be headed for around $35 billion - not far behind the size of the entire digital advertising market," he concludes. "As m-commerce grows into a more mature transactional medium over the next few years, it's clear that omni-channel marketing will become an even more important - and likely more challenging - issue for marketers."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...