News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile commerce boosts e-commerce spending in Q2 2014
Mobile commerce is helping to improve overall ecommerce spending figures, according to new data released by comScore, despite mobile commerce remaining a small percentage of total digital commerce.
Mobile commerce growth accelerated rapidly in the second quarter of this year, rising 47% compared to its usual growth rate of 20-something. Mobile commerce growth significantly outpaced both total discretionary retail (+3%) and desktop-based ecommerce (+10%).
"Even though the 47% growth rate is impressive, m-commerce as a percentage of total digital commerce was not exceptionally high at 11.1% - it was just high relative to previous Q2s, which were soft for m-commerce relative to other quarters," writes comScore's Andrew Lipsman on the company blog.
The important of tablets to m-commerce was also apparent from comScore's data. Historically, it is smartphones that have accounted for the lion's share of m-commerce spending at more than 60% but the rapid growth in tablet ownership saw tablets account for 46% in the second quarter of 2014 - a 75% YoY growth rate.
According to Lipsman, it is "highly unlikely" that growth rates in the 40% range will be seen during the remainder of 2014 and that they will likely remain in the 30% range.
"If that happens, then 2014 m-commerce spending looks to be headed for around $35 billion - not far behind the size of the entire digital advertising market," he concludes. "As m-commerce grows into a more mature transactional medium over the next few years, it's clear that omni-channel marketing will become an even more important - and likely more challenging - issue for marketers."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...