News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile commerce boosts e-commerce spending in Q2 2014
Mobile commerce is helping to improve overall ecommerce spending figures, according to new data released by comScore, despite mobile commerce remaining a small percentage of total digital commerce.
Mobile commerce growth accelerated rapidly in the second quarter of this year, rising 47% compared to its usual growth rate of 20-something. Mobile commerce growth significantly outpaced both total discretionary retail (+3%) and desktop-based ecommerce (+10%).
"Even though the 47% growth rate is impressive, m-commerce as a percentage of total digital commerce was not exceptionally high at 11.1% - it was just high relative to previous Q2s, which were soft for m-commerce relative to other quarters," writes comScore's Andrew Lipsman on the company blog.
The important of tablets to m-commerce was also apparent from comScore's data. Historically, it is smartphones that have accounted for the lion's share of m-commerce spending at more than 60% but the rapid growth in tablet ownership saw tablets account for 46% in the second quarter of 2014 - a 75% YoY growth rate.
According to Lipsman, it is "highly unlikely" that growth rates in the 40% range will be seen during the remainder of 2014 and that they will likely remain in the 30% range.
"If that happens, then 2014 m-commerce spending looks to be headed for around $35 billion - not far behind the size of the entire digital advertising market," he concludes. "As m-commerce grows into a more mature transactional medium over the next few years, it's clear that omni-channel marketing will become an even more important - and likely more challenging - issue for marketers."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...