News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile commerce boosts e-commerce spending in Q2 2014
Mobile commerce is helping to improve overall ecommerce spending figures, according to new data released by comScore, despite mobile commerce remaining a small percentage of total digital commerce.
Mobile commerce growth accelerated rapidly in the second quarter of this year, rising 47% compared to its usual growth rate of 20-something. Mobile commerce growth significantly outpaced both total discretionary retail (+3%) and desktop-based ecommerce (+10%).
"Even though the 47% growth rate is impressive, m-commerce as a percentage of total digital commerce was not exceptionally high at 11.1% - it was just high relative to previous Q2s, which were soft for m-commerce relative to other quarters," writes comScore's Andrew Lipsman on the company blog.
The important of tablets to m-commerce was also apparent from comScore's data. Historically, it is smartphones that have accounted for the lion's share of m-commerce spending at more than 60% but the rapid growth in tablet ownership saw tablets account for 46% in the second quarter of 2014 - a 75% YoY growth rate.
According to Lipsman, it is "highly unlikely" that growth rates in the 40% range will be seen during the remainder of 2014 and that they will likely remain in the 30% range.
"If that happens, then 2014 m-commerce spending looks to be headed for around $35 billion - not far behind the size of the entire digital advertising market," he concludes. "As m-commerce grows into a more mature transactional medium over the next few years, it's clear that omni-channel marketing will become an even more important - and likely more challenging - issue for marketers."
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...