News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: 45% of shoppers don't trust retailers
There is a growing mistrust of retailers, and the mistrust has a lot to do with data breaches. According to the new Retail Perceptions report from Interactions, nearly half (45%) of consumers say they don't trust retailers to keep their personal data safe. Meanwhile 60% of 18-24 year olds say their information has been stolen.
"When shoppers' information is exposed, not only does it damage the store brand reputation, but it also impacts profitability and productivity throughout the entire organization," said Giovanni DeMeo, Vice President of Global Marketing and Analytics at Interactions. "Whether or not your store has been directly affected by a data disaster, your shoppers now perceive you differently - and are changing their shopping behaviors because of it."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Once shoppers know about security breaches 36% say they 'shop there less frequently'
• 12% say they 'stop shopping' at retailers post-breach
• 33.5% of shoppers use social media to complain about shopping experiences
• 20% complain within retailer sites
• 85% will talk about retail experiences
"Nearly every industry and type of data has been exposed to a security breach, and retail is no stranger to this threat," said DeMeo. "But even after a security breach, we found that 23 percent of shoppers would feel comfortable returning to a store within a month, while 52 percent would still sign up for a retailer loyalty card. This proves that retailers can regain trust if they have the right measures in place to combat security breaches moving forward."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...