News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ecomm up 8% since New Year's
Chalk one up to the e- and m-commerce spaces: they are growing while the rest of retail is slipping slightly. According to new data out from Custora, overall retail is down for the first month in 2014 while ecommerce and mcommerce are seeing increases. Ecommerce now accounts for nearly 6% of all US retail sales, according to the US Department of Commerce.
"After a strong holiday season, US e-commerce is off to a great start in 2014. January sales are up 8% year over year, and we continue to see a large increase in shopping on mobile phones and tablets, as more commerce shifts from offline to online," said Corey Pierson, CEO, Custora.
Some interesting takeaways from the latest Custora Pulse report include:
• Overall retail was down 0.4% Year over Year (YoY)
• Average Order Value increased 1.3% YoY
• Ecommerce traffic increased 6%
• Conversion rates increased 2.2%
Mobile is where the best news is at. Mobile devices continue to draw in new consumers, and those shoppers are buying. Custora's data shows one-third of online purchases for January 2014 were made via mobile; about 20% of that percentage were pushed through Android devices.
Meanwhile data out from AOL shows that younger online shoppers are more apt to impulse buy that their older counterparts while online. In November 2013, researchers surveyed Millennials (aged 18-34) and found that 60% are online shopping/browsing at least daily, even when they don't plan to buy anything. Just under half (48%) of older Americans do the same. But, what is truly interesting is that all this browsing is pushing more purchasing. Just over half (52%) of Millennials say they impulse buy while 43% of Gen-Xers and 30% of Boomers said the same.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....