News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ecomm up 8% since New Year's
Chalk one up to the e- and m-commerce spaces: they are growing while the rest of retail is slipping slightly. According to new data out from Custora, overall retail is down for the first month in 2014 while ecommerce and mcommerce are seeing increases. Ecommerce now accounts for nearly 6% of all US retail sales, according to the US Department of Commerce.
"After a strong holiday season, US e-commerce is off to a great start in 2014. January sales are up 8% year over year, and we continue to see a large increase in shopping on mobile phones and tablets, as more commerce shifts from offline to online," said Corey Pierson, CEO, Custora.
Some interesting takeaways from the latest Custora Pulse report include:
• Overall retail was down 0.4% Year over Year (YoY)
• Average Order Value increased 1.3% YoY
• Ecommerce traffic increased 6%
• Conversion rates increased 2.2%
Mobile is where the best news is at. Mobile devices continue to draw in new consumers, and those shoppers are buying. Custora's data shows one-third of online purchases for January 2014 were made via mobile; about 20% of that percentage were pushed through Android devices.
Meanwhile data out from AOL shows that younger online shoppers are more apt to impulse buy that their older counterparts while online. In November 2013, researchers surveyed Millennials (aged 18-34) and found that 60% are online shopping/browsing at least daily, even when they don't plan to buy anything. Just under half (48%) of older Americans do the same. But, what is truly interesting is that all this browsing is pushing more purchasing. Just over half (52%) of Millennials say they impulse buy while 43% of Gen-Xers and 30% of Boomers said the same.
Image via Shutterstock
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...