News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ecomm up 8% since New Year's
Chalk one up to the e- and m-commerce spaces: they are growing while the rest of retail is slipping slightly. According to new data out from Custora, overall retail is down for the first month in 2014 while ecommerce and mcommerce are seeing increases. Ecommerce now accounts for nearly 6% of all US retail sales, according to the US Department of Commerce.
"After a strong holiday season, US e-commerce is off to a great start in 2014. January sales are up 8% year over year, and we continue to see a large increase in shopping on mobile phones and tablets, as more commerce shifts from offline to online," said Corey Pierson, CEO, Custora.
Some interesting takeaways from the latest Custora Pulse report include:
• Overall retail was down 0.4% Year over Year (YoY)
• Average Order Value increased 1.3% YoY
• Ecommerce traffic increased 6%
• Conversion rates increased 2.2%
Mobile is where the best news is at. Mobile devices continue to draw in new consumers, and those shoppers are buying. Custora's data shows one-third of online purchases for January 2014 were made via mobile; about 20% of that percentage were pushed through Android devices.
Meanwhile data out from AOL shows that younger online shoppers are more apt to impulse buy that their older counterparts while online. In November 2013, researchers surveyed Millennials (aged 18-34) and found that 60% are online shopping/browsing at least daily, even when they don't plan to buy anything. Just under half (48%) of older Americans do the same. But, what is truly interesting is that all this browsing is pushing more purchasing. Just over half (52%) of Millennials say they impulse buy while 43% of Gen-Xers and 30% of Boomers said the same.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases focus on data
- Survey: SMBs report good start to 2016
- Business mail rooms inundated with personal online shopping deliveries
- Study: Micro-businesses need more help
- eRetail, banking and airline ticketing earmarked as hot areas for online fraud
- Poll: SMBs worried over benefits, pay
- Expert: Tips for better small business expansion
- Mobile Roundup: Breaking down app, game installs
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...