News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forecast: 2013 Holiday spend to push $640 billion
Most US families are just starting to shop for back to school, and while the back to school spend is expected to be relatively flat, new data out from Baynote predicts the 2013 holiday spend will increase by at least 11%.
In 2012, holiday shoppers spent nearly $579 billion; the predicted 11% increase would push retail spending to more than $640 billion. Here's the breakdown from the inaugural Baynote/etailing group 2013 Holiday Survey:
• Most retailers believe 2013 holiday shoppers will spend later in the year
• 38% believe holiday spending will increase between 11% and 20%
• 53% believe mobile channels will show 'significant' transactions
"We wanted to take the pulse of the retail industry as it prepares for the 2013 holiday season and gain a deeper understanding of how marketers plan to increase holiday season revenue and profitability," said Dan Darnell, VP of marketing and product, Baynote. "The inaugural survey provides a benchmark for retailers currently finalizing promotional strategies for the upcoming holiday season, and we hope that the findings are useful to retailers of all sizes."
Mobile, the survey predicts, will drive much of the growth through the 2013 holiday shopping season. In fact, 38% of retailers believe that mobile will push more shoppers into brick-and-mortar stores, especially those all-important omni-channel buyers.
"By using mobile as a tool to drive discovery, in-store purchases and overall customer experience, retailers will increase customer connectivity and be able to provide information and incentives that will encourage customers to complete transactions and engage with the brand post-sale," said Darnell
About one-third say mobile will account for at least 10% of holiday sales. But, don't look to social for increased revenue growth. According to the research retailers expect 'minimal' revenue from social channels.
As for how retailers plan to engage over the holidays - flash sales, free shipping and BOGO offers are likely to abound through the 2013 holiday season. One-third of retailers say they'll begin promotional offers before October 1.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
- Twitter testing click-to-call
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....