News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forecast: 2013 Holiday spend to push $640 billion
Most US families are just starting to shop for back to school, and while the back to school spend is expected to be relatively flat, new data out from Baynote predicts the 2013 holiday spend will increase by at least 11%.
In 2012, holiday shoppers spent nearly $579 billion; the predicted 11% increase would push retail spending to more than $640 billion. Here's the breakdown from the inaugural Baynote/etailing group 2013 Holiday Survey:
• Most retailers believe 2013 holiday shoppers will spend later in the year
• 38% believe holiday spending will increase between 11% and 20%
• 53% believe mobile channels will show 'significant' transactions
"We wanted to take the pulse of the retail industry as it prepares for the 2013 holiday season and gain a deeper understanding of how marketers plan to increase holiday season revenue and profitability," said Dan Darnell, VP of marketing and product, Baynote. "The inaugural survey provides a benchmark for retailers currently finalizing promotional strategies for the upcoming holiday season, and we hope that the findings are useful to retailers of all sizes."
Mobile, the survey predicts, will drive much of the growth through the 2013 holiday shopping season. In fact, 38% of retailers believe that mobile will push more shoppers into brick-and-mortar stores, especially those all-important omni-channel buyers.
"By using mobile as a tool to drive discovery, in-store purchases and overall customer experience, retailers will increase customer connectivity and be able to provide information and incentives that will encourage customers to complete transactions and engage with the brand post-sale," said Darnell
About one-third say mobile will account for at least 10% of holiday sales. But, don't look to social for increased revenue growth. According to the research retailers expect 'minimal' revenue from social channels.
As for how retailers plan to engage over the holidays - flash sales, free shipping and BOGO offers are likely to abound through the 2013 holiday season. One-third of retailers say they'll begin promotional offers before October 1.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...