News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Retail apps failing in consumers' eyes
In the mobile space users are equally divided between mobile browser use and mobile app use, but most may be getting a better experience through the browser. And that is a bad thing, even for brands that have both app and browser-based options.
According to new data out from Xtreme Labs many retail brands are missing out on the app opportunity. The data shows 30% have no app option, and that of the retail brands offering app experiences many are scored low by shoppers.
"When it comes to retail apps, first you have to be there, then you have to work," said Jeremy Black, director of retail at Xtreme Labs. "We were surprised that 30 percent of top retailers don't even have an app in at least one of the major app stores. Secondly, when a quarter of all complaints involve app crashes, it should serve as a wakeup call that consumers will quickly go somewhere else, like eBay or Zappos to fill their needs."
The scores? Ratings for the Top 100 Retail Brands averaged 2.9 out of 5 Stars (iOS device users) and 2.2 out of 5 Stars for Android users.
As for what shoppers are looking for in retail apps many say they want:
• Apps to supplement their in-store experience
• Apps to work without crashing, 33% say app crashes are the leading issue (Android) and 23% say iOS apps crash too often
• Better features/better design
For an idea of what mobile users want, the highest-rated Android apps include CVS Pharmacy (90% favorable ratings, 4.5 Stars), Amazon (90% favorable, 4.5 Stars) and Nordstrom (85% favorable, 4.4 Stars). The highest rated iOS apps included Walgreens (82% favorable, 4.5 Stars), CVS (82% favorable, 4.5 Stars) and Chick-Fil-A (76% favorable, 4 Stars).
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...