News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Retail apps failing in consumers' eyes
In the mobile space users are equally divided between mobile browser use and mobile app use, but most may be getting a better experience through the browser. And that is a bad thing, even for brands that have both app and browser-based options.
According to new data out from Xtreme Labs many retail brands are missing out on the app opportunity. The data shows 30% have no app option, and that of the retail brands offering app experiences many are scored low by shoppers.
"When it comes to retail apps, first you have to be there, then you have to work," said Jeremy Black, director of retail at Xtreme Labs. "We were surprised that 30 percent of top retailers don't even have an app in at least one of the major app stores. Secondly, when a quarter of all complaints involve app crashes, it should serve as a wakeup call that consumers will quickly go somewhere else, like eBay or Zappos to fill their needs."
The scores? Ratings for the Top 100 Retail Brands averaged 2.9 out of 5 Stars (iOS device users) and 2.2 out of 5 Stars for Android users.
As for what shoppers are looking for in retail apps many say they want:
• Apps to supplement their in-store experience
• Apps to work without crashing, 33% say app crashes are the leading issue (Android) and 23% say iOS apps crash too often
• Better features/better design
For an idea of what mobile users want, the highest-rated Android apps include CVS Pharmacy (90% favorable ratings, 4.5 Stars), Amazon (90% favorable, 4.5 Stars) and Nordstrom (85% favorable, 4.4 Stars). The highest rated iOS apps included Walgreens (82% favorable, 4.5 Stars), CVS (82% favorable, 4.5 Stars) and Chick-Fil-A (76% favorable, 4 Stars).
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...