News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Family and friend recommendations no longer enough
Despite only 2% of consumers saying they would put trust in strangers the vast majority would double-check a friend or relative's product or service recommendation against the online opinions of, ironically, strangers.
No longer do friends and families put the final seal of approval on a person's decision to buy a product or service. The vast majority (81%) now rely on the Internet to verify those recommendations.
In essence this means there is now another step in the decision making process - online verification. In many cases another "person" is involved - a complete stranger - because over half (55%) of consumers now turn to online user reviews to find online verification.
This behavior appears particularly strange when a mere 2% of consumers cite "strangers" as someone they would trust.
Other ways in which consumers collect information online to verify their purchase decisions are researching product/service information (61%) or searching ratings websites (43%).
"Consumers have become extremely savvy about how brands are marketing to them," explains Bill Fleishman, Cone's president and head of Brand Marketing.
"Partly due to an increased skepticism toward brand marketing, consumers have elongated the decision-making process to seek additional sources of affirmation before making up their minds. As marketers, we have another step to take before we close the loop."
- Eight in ten disappointed shoppers give retailers no chance to fix problem
- Report: BTS spending to increase
- Study: Behavioral data influencing more shoppers
- Report: Data scientists spend bulk of time cleaning up
- Retailers: 3 ways shoppers are gaming you
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...