News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Social beats email for customer service
When it comes to answering questions or resolving issues, email is no longer the go-to. According to new Eptica data social media is where UK consumers turn for customer service - in fact response rates on both Twitter and Facebook were faster than brands' email customer service channel.
Researchers with The Eptica Multichannel Customer Service Experience Study also found that the average wait-time for consumers to get an emailed response was just over 34 hours; they also note that only about two-thirds of businesses offer email support to non-customers. On the other hand, social media wait time decreased; on Twitter wait times went from from 5 hours 27 minutes (2015) to just over 4 hours.
"Brands are under growing pressure to deliver a consistently high quality experience to customers, however they choose to make contact," said Derek Lewis, UK & Ireland Sales Director, Eptica. "The sheer volume of queries and the fact that customer expectations are continually rising is having a definite effect on the performance of many companies, particularly on the email channel. Some are forging ahead, while others are falling behind, with a consequent impact on customer satisfaction, loyalty and revenues. Just 51% of all queries were answered satisfactorily. Overall, consumers are as likely to get a useful response as they are to correctly call heads or tails on the flip of a coin."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 66% of customer service questions are answered via the web
• 18% of brands 'answer accurately' via only one channel, even if they offer customer service via additional channels
• 69% of businesses 'fail to provide' consistent customer service between email, social media, chat and online channels
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...