News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
It's not unusual to see reports that Facebook has reached a plateau or that it's losing younger users hand over fist but, as new research from Shareaholic reveals, it continues to be a dominant force in driving traffic to websites.
Shareaholic has declared Facebook "the social network to end all social networks" following recent data that shows Zuckerberg's baby now accounts for just over 23% of all visits to the social media analytics and publishing firm's network of websites. That's a significant 10.09% gain since March 2014 and a whopping 150.49% gain since the end of Q2 2013.
While a quarter of all Shareaholic's websites' visitors are now referred to them via Facebook, other networks are way behind. Pinterest refers just 5.72%, Twitter 1.03% and the remaining social media sites such as Google+, StumbleUpon, Reddit and YouTube all come in under 1%.
Professional social networking website LinkedIn came in with just 0.02% of referrals to Shareaholic's 300,000 or so websites.
In fact, all of Facebook's competitors in the social media realm saw decreases in referral traffic since the first quarter of this year. Pinterest fell 19% and 1.38 percentage points and Twitter fell 9.9% and 0.11 percentage points.
Commenting on Pinterest on the Shareaholic blog, Danny Wong writes, "Has it hit a plateau? It's too early to tell. Year-over-year, the image-friendly social platform saw its share grow 69.53% (2.34 percentage points), up from 3.38% overall. Arguably, this is only a temporary decline as it figures out the perfect balance between the amount of promoted pins and organic pins users see. It is premature to think Pinterest's bubble is due to burst; the four year old social network has barely moved on from its training wheels".
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...