News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
It's not unusual to see reports that Facebook has reached a plateau or that it's losing younger users hand over fist but, as new research from Shareaholic reveals, it continues to be a dominant force in driving traffic to websites.
Shareaholic has declared Facebook "the social network to end all social networks" following recent data that shows Zuckerberg's baby now accounts for just over 23% of all visits to the social media analytics and publishing firm's network of websites. That's a significant 10.09% gain since March 2014 and a whopping 150.49% gain since the end of Q2 2013.
While a quarter of all Shareaholic's websites' visitors are now referred to them via Facebook, other networks are way behind. Pinterest refers just 5.72%, Twitter 1.03% and the remaining social media sites such as Google+, StumbleUpon, Reddit and YouTube all come in under 1%.
Professional social networking website LinkedIn came in with just 0.02% of referrals to Shareaholic's 300,000 or so websites.
In fact, all of Facebook's competitors in the social media realm saw decreases in referral traffic since the first quarter of this year. Pinterest fell 19% and 1.38 percentage points and Twitter fell 9.9% and 0.11 percentage points.
Commenting on Pinterest on the Shareaholic blog, Danny Wong writes, "Has it hit a plateau? It's too early to tell. Year-over-year, the image-friendly social platform saw its share grow 69.53% (2.34 percentage points), up from 3.38% overall. Arguably, this is only a temporary decline as it figures out the perfect balance between the amount of promoted pins and organic pins users see. It is premature to think Pinterest's bubble is due to burst; the four year old social network has barely moved on from its training wheels".
Image via Shutterstock
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....