News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
It's not unusual to see reports that Facebook has reached a plateau or that it's losing younger users hand over fist but, as new research from Shareaholic reveals, it continues to be a dominant force in driving traffic to websites.
Shareaholic has declared Facebook "the social network to end all social networks" following recent data that shows Zuckerberg's baby now accounts for just over 23% of all visits to the social media analytics and publishing firm's network of websites. That's a significant 10.09% gain since March 2014 and a whopping 150.49% gain since the end of Q2 2013.
While a quarter of all Shareaholic's websites' visitors are now referred to them via Facebook, other networks are way behind. Pinterest refers just 5.72%, Twitter 1.03% and the remaining social media sites such as Google+, StumbleUpon, Reddit and YouTube all come in under 1%.
Professional social networking website LinkedIn came in with just 0.02% of referrals to Shareaholic's 300,000 or so websites.
In fact, all of Facebook's competitors in the social media realm saw decreases in referral traffic since the first quarter of this year. Pinterest fell 19% and 1.38 percentage points and Twitter fell 9.9% and 0.11 percentage points.
Commenting on Pinterest on the Shareaholic blog, Danny Wong writes, "Has it hit a plateau? It's too early to tell. Year-over-year, the image-friendly social platform saw its share grow 69.53% (2.34 percentage points), up from 3.38% overall. Arguably, this is only a temporary decline as it figures out the perfect balance between the amount of promoted pins and organic pins users see. It is premature to think Pinterest's bubble is due to burst; the four year old social network has barely moved on from its training wheels".
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...