News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
B2B firms struggling with content marketing
B2B companies are forging ahead with content marketing but, according to recent research by Forrester, businesses are focusing too much on selling their products and services instead of addressing problems faced by their customers.
The recent study, conducted by Forrester in association with the Business Marketing Association and the Online Marketing Institute found that, while B2B marketers are increasing their content marketing budgets, currently a little over half (51%) say their efforts in this realm of marketing are only 'somewhat effective'.
According to Laura Ramos, Forrester VP, marketers are still trying to figure out how best to approach content marketing. While many say their content marketing strategies are already mature, it does appear that there are problems with the content being created rather than effort plus a case of quantity of quality.
For example, speaking to AdAge, Ramos says that many content marketers are focusing more on talking about themselves and their products rather than understanding and addressing the problems their customers face.
Furthermore, many of those marketers producing content originate in the sales, business development or product design departments. These individuals are more used to the hard sell and are product and company focused and, says Ramos, "where being provocative, intriguing and informational isn't as valued as it is in fields such as journalism, for instance".
In a nutshell, concentrate content marketing on solving your customers' problems and provide consistent content across multiple channels and aim content at all levels of customers' decision-making hierarchy.
Image via Shutterstock
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
- Top tips to improve ad performance
Featured White Papers
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...