News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
B2B firms struggling with content marketing
B2B companies are forging ahead with content marketing but, according to recent research by Forrester, businesses are focusing too much on selling their products and services instead of addressing problems faced by their customers.
The recent study, conducted by Forrester in association with the Business Marketing Association and the Online Marketing Institute found that, while B2B marketers are increasing their content marketing budgets, currently a little over half (51%) say their efforts in this realm of marketing are only 'somewhat effective'.
According to Laura Ramos, Forrester VP, marketers are still trying to figure out how best to approach content marketing. While many say their content marketing strategies are already mature, it does appear that there are problems with the content being created rather than effort plus a case of quantity of quality.
For example, speaking to AdAge, Ramos says that many content marketers are focusing more on talking about themselves and their products rather than understanding and addressing the problems their customers face.
Furthermore, many of those marketers producing content originate in the sales, business development or product design departments. These individuals are more used to the hard sell and are product and company focused and, says Ramos, "where being provocative, intriguing and informational isn't as valued as it is in fields such as journalism, for instance".
In a nutshell, concentrate content marketing on solving your customers' problems and provide consistent content across multiple channels and aim content at all levels of customers' decision-making hierarchy.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...