News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
B2B firms struggling with content marketing
B2B companies are forging ahead with content marketing but, according to recent research by Forrester, businesses are focusing too much on selling their products and services instead of addressing problems faced by their customers.
The recent study, conducted by Forrester in association with the Business Marketing Association and the Online Marketing Institute found that, while B2B marketers are increasing their content marketing budgets, currently a little over half (51%) say their efforts in this realm of marketing are only 'somewhat effective'.
According to Laura Ramos, Forrester VP, marketers are still trying to figure out how best to approach content marketing. While many say their content marketing strategies are already mature, it does appear that there are problems with the content being created rather than effort plus a case of quantity of quality.
For example, speaking to AdAge, Ramos says that many content marketers are focusing more on talking about themselves and their products rather than understanding and addressing the problems their customers face.
Furthermore, many of those marketers producing content originate in the sales, business development or product design departments. These individuals are more used to the hard sell and are product and company focused and, says Ramos, "where being provocative, intriguing and informational isn't as valued as it is in fields such as journalism, for instance".
In a nutshell, concentrate content marketing on solving your customers' problems and provide consistent content across multiple channels and aim content at all levels of customers' decision-making hierarchy.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
- Study: Digital strategy not properly defined
- Expert: User engagement trumps viewability
- Combining contextual marketing and demographics gives 3D-view of consumer
- Research warns marketers to consider social media followers' diverse network
- Ad Roundup: Tools for content, collaboration
- Leisure travel most popular discretionary spending category in UK
- Ad Roundup: Data, ecommerce tools
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...