News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
B2B firms struggling with content marketing
B2B companies are forging ahead with content marketing but, according to recent research by Forrester, businesses are focusing too much on selling their products and services instead of addressing problems faced by their customers.
The recent study, conducted by Forrester in association with the Business Marketing Association and the Online Marketing Institute found that, while B2B marketers are increasing their content marketing budgets, currently a little over half (51%) say their efforts in this realm of marketing are only 'somewhat effective'.
According to Laura Ramos, Forrester VP, marketers are still trying to figure out how best to approach content marketing. While many say their content marketing strategies are already mature, it does appear that there are problems with the content being created rather than effort plus a case of quantity of quality.
For example, speaking to AdAge, Ramos says that many content marketers are focusing more on talking about themselves and their products rather than understanding and addressing the problems their customers face.
Furthermore, many of those marketers producing content originate in the sales, business development or product design departments. These individuals are more used to the hard sell and are product and company focused and, says Ramos, "where being provocative, intriguing and informational isn't as valued as it is in fields such as journalism, for instance".
In a nutshell, concentrate content marketing on solving your customers' problems and provide consistent content across multiple channels and aim content at all levels of customers' decision-making hierarchy.
Image via Shutterstock
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
- Reports: Mobile economy flourishing
- Top 3 trends to push marketers ahead in 2015
- Consumers want marketing email based on previous purchases
- Kenshoo highlights rise in Facebook ad spend
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...