News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Kentico survey reveals consumer trust levels in content marketing
A survey by web content and customer experience management provider Kentico Software has found that, while many consumers trust content produced by companies aimed at educating them, that trust is fragile.
Three-quarters (74%) of consumers trust content from businesses that is designed to educate them on a particular topic. However, if that content turns into a product pitch those trust levels tumble by 29% as consumers begin to wonder if they've been told the truth or if the business is spinning its content to suit their means.
Consumers prefer balanced content that can be corroborated with other sources that aren't connected or produced by the company presenting the content. In fact, almost half (46%) will have less trust if information provided can't be corroborated with other non-company courses or if it isn't clear that it's coming from a particular company (15%).
Even consumers loyal to a brand are distrustful - 85% of those surveyed said they aren't any more trusting of content just because they already buy from the company that posted the content. Neither is a company's size indicative of whether a consumer will trust it (60%), although 29% did believe content from smaller businesses is more trustworthy.
"Our latest Digital Experience survey goes to show what professional marketers hopefully already know," said Kentico CEO and Founder Petr Palas. "While customers will for the most part give a company's content marketing the benefit of the doubt, businesses must take care in not breaking that trust with information that can't be corroborated or strays from the truth altogether. In this way, content marketing and transparent marketing must go together at all times."
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....