News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Kentico survey reveals consumer trust levels in content marketing
A survey by web content and customer experience management provider Kentico Software has found that, while many consumers trust content produced by companies aimed at educating them, that trust is fragile.
Three-quarters (74%) of consumers trust content from businesses that is designed to educate them on a particular topic. However, if that content turns into a product pitch those trust levels tumble by 29% as consumers begin to wonder if they've been told the truth or if the business is spinning its content to suit their means.
Consumers prefer balanced content that can be corroborated with other sources that aren't connected or produced by the company presenting the content. In fact, almost half (46%) will have less trust if information provided can't be corroborated with other non-company courses or if it isn't clear that it's coming from a particular company (15%).
Even consumers loyal to a brand are distrustful - 85% of those surveyed said they aren't any more trusting of content just because they already buy from the company that posted the content. Neither is a company's size indicative of whether a consumer will trust it (60%), although 29% did believe content from smaller businesses is more trustworthy.
"Our latest Digital Experience survey goes to show what professional marketers hopefully already know," said Kentico CEO and Founder Petr Palas. "While customers will for the most part give a company's content marketing the benefit of the doubt, businesses must take care in not breaking that trust with information that can't be corroborated or strays from the truth altogether. In this way, content marketing and transparent marketing must go together at all times."
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...