News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Kentico survey reveals consumer trust levels in content marketing
A survey by web content and customer experience management provider Kentico Software has found that, while many consumers trust content produced by companies aimed at educating them, that trust is fragile.
Three-quarters (74%) of consumers trust content from businesses that is designed to educate them on a particular topic. However, if that content turns into a product pitch those trust levels tumble by 29% as consumers begin to wonder if they've been told the truth or if the business is spinning its content to suit their means.
Consumers prefer balanced content that can be corroborated with other sources that aren't connected or produced by the company presenting the content. In fact, almost half (46%) will have less trust if information provided can't be corroborated with other non-company courses or if it isn't clear that it's coming from a particular company (15%).
Even consumers loyal to a brand are distrustful - 85% of those surveyed said they aren't any more trusting of content just because they already buy from the company that posted the content. Neither is a company's size indicative of whether a consumer will trust it (60%), although 29% did believe content from smaller businesses is more trustworthy.
"Our latest Digital Experience survey goes to show what professional marketers hopefully already know," said Kentico CEO and Founder Petr Palas. "While customers will for the most part give a company's content marketing the benefit of the doubt, businesses must take care in not breaking that trust with information that can't be corroborated or strays from the truth altogether. In this way, content marketing and transparent marketing must go together at all times."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...