News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Kentico survey reveals consumer trust levels in content marketing
A survey by web content and customer experience management provider Kentico Software has found that, while many consumers trust content produced by companies aimed at educating them, that trust is fragile.
Three-quarters (74%) of consumers trust content from businesses that is designed to educate them on a particular topic. However, if that content turns into a product pitch those trust levels tumble by 29% as consumers begin to wonder if they've been told the truth or if the business is spinning its content to suit their means.
Consumers prefer balanced content that can be corroborated with other sources that aren't connected or produced by the company presenting the content. In fact, almost half (46%) will have less trust if information provided can't be corroborated with other non-company courses or if it isn't clear that it's coming from a particular company (15%).
Even consumers loyal to a brand are distrustful - 85% of those surveyed said they aren't any more trusting of content just because they already buy from the company that posted the content. Neither is a company's size indicative of whether a consumer will trust it (60%), although 29% did believe content from smaller businesses is more trustworthy.
"Our latest Digital Experience survey goes to show what professional marketers hopefully already know," said Kentico CEO and Founder Petr Palas. "While customers will for the most part give a company's content marketing the benefit of the doubt, businesses must take care in not breaking that trust with information that can't be corroborated or strays from the truth altogether. In this way, content marketing and transparent marketing must go together at all times."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...