News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Kentico survey reveals consumer trust levels in content marketing
A survey by web content and customer experience management provider Kentico Software has found that, while many consumers trust content produced by companies aimed at educating them, that trust is fragile.
Three-quarters (74%) of consumers trust content from businesses that is designed to educate them on a particular topic. However, if that content turns into a product pitch those trust levels tumble by 29% as consumers begin to wonder if they've been told the truth or if the business is spinning its content to suit their means.
Consumers prefer balanced content that can be corroborated with other sources that aren't connected or produced by the company presenting the content. In fact, almost half (46%) will have less trust if information provided can't be corroborated with other non-company courses or if it isn't clear that it's coming from a particular company (15%).
Even consumers loyal to a brand are distrustful - 85% of those surveyed said they aren't any more trusting of content just because they already buy from the company that posted the content. Neither is a company's size indicative of whether a consumer will trust it (60%), although 29% did believe content from smaller businesses is more trustworthy.
"Our latest Digital Experience survey goes to show what professional marketers hopefully already know," said Kentico CEO and Founder Petr Palas. "While customers will for the most part give a company's content marketing the benefit of the doubt, businesses must take care in not breaking that trust with information that can't be corroborated or strays from the truth altogether. In this way, content marketing and transparent marketing must go together at all times."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...