News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Retail Ecommerce up 12%
Ecommerce usually doesn't set records until November and December of each year, but new data out from comScore indicates a strong quarter for US desktop-based retail ecommerce in Q1 - with sales pushing past the $56 billion mark.
That is a 12% Year over Year increase in sales, according to the report and it marks the 18th consecutive quarter when desktop sales increased Year over Year. Since Q1 of 2010 nearly every quarter has seen at least 10% growth.
"Q1 e-commerce and m-commerce spending growth have seen a modest acceleration versus the fourth quarter, which is a positive sign in light of overall softness in consumer discretionary spending across the broader U.S. economy during the early part of the year," said comScore chairman emeritus Gian Fulgoni. "As we look ahead to the remainder of 2014, we hope that signs of improved consumer sentiment and a strengthening job market will help further bolster digital commerce. In addition, with several key consumer tech product upgrade cycles and new product introductions expected in the back of the year, there would appear to be continued momentum for the market throughout the year barring any unforeseen economic troubles."
The top categories for sales were apparel/accessories, CPG, sports/fitness and digital content/subscriptions. Desktop ecommerce sales were responsible for just over 11% of discretionary spending for the quarter.
Meanwhile mobile commerce saw just over $7 billion in spending with smartphones accounting for more than 60% of sales; tablets accounted for 38% of sales for the quarter.
Image via Shutterstock
- How to use your CTA to drive email conversions
- Expert: How to improve personalization strategy
- How to use payments as a marketing tool
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a new release
- Top 3 tips to use a loyalty program to build engagement
- Fewer people report suffering with information overload than a decade ago
- Third of businesses globally under-prepared for digital transformation
- Expert: Tipping point for personalization is near
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...