News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bot blindness plagues UK advertisers
More than three-quarters of UK advertisers have no idea how many of their ad impressions might be fraudulent, according to new research by Project Sunblock.
At the end of 2013, Project Sunblock revealed that 7.78 billion display ad impressions are served up on websites that could damage a brand's reputation. Furthermore, 38% of UK advertisers did not know where their content was being displayed online and almost two-thirds (62%) of senior marketers have no access to real-time analytics.
The result? £2.4 billion (US$3.9 billion) is being spent each year on display ads that could appear anywhere online.
Now, Project Sunblock has released new data that reveals 78% of UK advertisers have no insight into how many of their ad impressions are fraudulent. Andrew Goode, COO at Project Sunblock was surprised that, despite awareness of bots and the problems they can cause, few advertisers were taking steps against them.
The survey of 268 senior marketing decision makers with UK brands found that 1 in 5 had no process in place to prevent them falling victim to fraud. Yet, those respondents estimated that bot traffic was costing them between £10-£15,000 (US$17-25,000) each year.
"Botnets are already surprisingly sophisticated and will only become more potent in time," said Goode. "There are many pieces of malware used to infect PCs which are used to create fake traffic and then sold on to publishers through ad exchanges, and some of the bots are almost indestructible."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...