News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bot blindness plagues UK advertisers
More than three-quarters of UK advertisers have no idea how many of their ad impressions might be fraudulent, according to new research by Project Sunblock.
At the end of 2013, Project Sunblock revealed that 7.78 billion display ad impressions are served up on websites that could damage a brand's reputation. Furthermore, 38% of UK advertisers did not know where their content was being displayed online and almost two-thirds (62%) of senior marketers have no access to real-time analytics.
The result? £2.4 billion (US$3.9 billion) is being spent each year on display ads that could appear anywhere online.
Now, Project Sunblock has released new data that reveals 78% of UK advertisers have no insight into how many of their ad impressions are fraudulent. Andrew Goode, COO at Project Sunblock was surprised that, despite awareness of bots and the problems they can cause, few advertisers were taking steps against them.
The survey of 268 senior marketing decision makers with UK brands found that 1 in 5 had no process in place to prevent them falling victim to fraud. Yet, those respondents estimated that bot traffic was costing them between £10-£15,000 (US$17-25,000) each year.
"Botnets are already surprisingly sophisticated and will only become more potent in time," said Goode. "There are many pieces of malware used to infect PCs which are used to create fake traffic and then sold on to publishers through ad exchanges, and some of the bots are almost indestructible."
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...