News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Yellow Pages still working for many consumers, businesses
If you think the yellow pages and other directories are dead, think again. That is the takeaway from new data out from the Association of Direct Publishers; according to their data the ROI of directory ads averages about $24 for every $1 spent on the ad while calls to businesses from directory listings increased nearly one-third over the past three years.
Print and online directories may not be as sexy as a viral video ad, but according to the new ADP Ad Effectiveness Study, directory ads could be more engaging than a clever ad during the Super Bowl, March Madness or even in Election Season.
Some interesting findings include:
• Calls to businesses from print ads increased 28% (2010 - 2013)
• On average, calls to advertisers (per year) reached 197, a cost per call of $15.50
• YP advertisers averaged $81,000 in sales from ad investments of $3,280
"Perceptions regarding the value of Yellow Pages advertising do not accurately reflect the reality, particularly for independent publishers and their advertisers," said Cindi Aldrich, President & CEO, Association of Directory Publishers. "In this study, the first to truly examine the ROI of independent directory advertising, the data clearly point to a healthy medium with strong usage."
"Calls to businesses from Yellow Pages ads have a 50% conversion rate, compared with 3% for online," said Dennis Fromholzer, PhD, President, CRM Associates. "In addition print sales have a higher per-customer value."
Why a higher value? Fromholzer says that is up to 80% of directory headings are service related and for high-value purchases; online and mobile purchases are more likely to be entertainment/retail related, giving them lower values.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...