News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Yellow Pages still working for many consumers, businesses
If you think the yellow pages and other directories are dead, think again. That is the takeaway from new data out from the Association of Direct Publishers; according to their data the ROI of directory ads averages about $24 for every $1 spent on the ad while calls to businesses from directory listings increased nearly one-third over the past three years.
Print and online directories may not be as sexy as a viral video ad, but according to the new ADP Ad Effectiveness Study, directory ads could be more engaging than a clever ad during the Super Bowl, March Madness or even in Election Season.
Some interesting findings include:
• Calls to businesses from print ads increased 28% (2010 - 2013)
• On average, calls to advertisers (per year) reached 197, a cost per call of $15.50
• YP advertisers averaged $81,000 in sales from ad investments of $3,280
"Perceptions regarding the value of Yellow Pages advertising do not accurately reflect the reality, particularly for independent publishers and their advertisers," said Cindi Aldrich, President & CEO, Association of Directory Publishers. "In this study, the first to truly examine the ROI of independent directory advertising, the data clearly point to a healthy medium with strong usage."
"Calls to businesses from Yellow Pages ads have a 50% conversion rate, compared with 3% for online," said Dennis Fromholzer, PhD, President, CRM Associates. "In addition print sales have a higher per-customer value."
Why a higher value? Fromholzer says that is up to 80% of directory headings are service related and for high-value purchases; online and mobile purchases are more likely to be entertainment/retail related, giving them lower values.
Image via Shutterstock
- Personal data: Lack of trust could hinder business growth
- 'Digiboomers' neglected by marketers
- UK: Pureplay online sales will exceed multichannel retailers' this year
- Report: Brands need to up their content focus
- Report shows shoppers want retail everywhere
- Report: Cash still top American payment method
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
Featured White Papers
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Building Your Custom Attribution Model
Solving the attribution problem will be one of the most important things you do to boost ROI for your organization....
- What drives Email Open Rates
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email engagement metrics across five somewhat similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email activity...