News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Connectedness' of Resilients key to their optimism in face of austerity
The latest Austerity Index from JWT reveals that the demographic that has most suffered from austerity measures is the one most likely to be optimistic in light of their social media use and 'connectedness'.
They've endured high unemployment and negative earnings growth but, according to JWT's survey of 800 adults for the latest Austerity Index that analyses the impact of economic adversity on UK consumers, those age 18-39 are being dubbed 'Resilients'.
According to JWT, Resilients "set themselves apart from older generations via a strikingly proactive and entrepreneurial approach to their finances, coupled with a comparatively upbeat and positive attitude".
For example, rather than wait for a bail out or a hand up from the Government, Resilients are more likely than any other age group to take on extra work (35%), purchase items to sell on for profit (20%) or start their own business (11%). Furthermore, they are willing to make sacrifices in the face of austerity such as skipping meals to save money (40%), sell items they still need (30%) or move to a cheaper part of the country (18%).
"Naturally some of the Resilients' can-do approach could be down to their youthful optimism but they may also derive some buoyancy from their sense of connectedness," says Tracey Follows, Chief Strategy Officer at JWT London. "This generation has grown up witnessing and harnessing the power of social networks, so they have greater faith in themselves and communities to have influence and to drive change."
Image via Shutterstock
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
- Reports: Mobile economy flourishing
- Top 3 trends to push marketers ahead in 2015
- Consumers want marketing email based on previous purchases
- Kenshoo highlights rise in Facebook ad spend
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...