News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Connectedness' of Resilients key to their optimism in face of austerity
The latest Austerity Index from JWT reveals that the demographic that has most suffered from austerity measures is the one most likely to be optimistic in light of their social media use and 'connectedness'.
They've endured high unemployment and negative earnings growth but, according to JWT's survey of 800 adults for the latest Austerity Index that analyses the impact of economic adversity on UK consumers, those age 18-39 are being dubbed 'Resilients'.
According to JWT, Resilients "set themselves apart from older generations via a strikingly proactive and entrepreneurial approach to their finances, coupled with a comparatively upbeat and positive attitude".
For example, rather than wait for a bail out or a hand up from the Government, Resilients are more likely than any other age group to take on extra work (35%), purchase items to sell on for profit (20%) or start their own business (11%). Furthermore, they are willing to make sacrifices in the face of austerity such as skipping meals to save money (40%), sell items they still need (30%) or move to a cheaper part of the country (18%).
"Naturally some of the Resilients' can-do approach could be down to their youthful optimism but they may also derive some buoyancy from their sense of connectedness," says Tracey Follows, Chief Strategy Officer at JWT London. "This generation has grown up witnessing and harnessing the power of social networks, so they have greater faith in themselves and communities to have influence and to drive change."
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...