News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Connectedness' of Resilients key to their optimism in face of austerity
The latest Austerity Index from JWT reveals that the demographic that has most suffered from austerity measures is the one most likely to be optimistic in light of their social media use and 'connectedness'.
They've endured high unemployment and negative earnings growth but, according to JWT's survey of 800 adults for the latest Austerity Index that analyses the impact of economic adversity on UK consumers, those age 18-39 are being dubbed 'Resilients'.
According to JWT, Resilients "set themselves apart from older generations via a strikingly proactive and entrepreneurial approach to their finances, coupled with a comparatively upbeat and positive attitude".
For example, rather than wait for a bail out or a hand up from the Government, Resilients are more likely than any other age group to take on extra work (35%), purchase items to sell on for profit (20%) or start their own business (11%). Furthermore, they are willing to make sacrifices in the face of austerity such as skipping meals to save money (40%), sell items they still need (30%) or move to a cheaper part of the country (18%).
"Naturally some of the Resilients' can-do approach could be down to their youthful optimism but they may also derive some buoyancy from their sense of connectedness," says Tracey Follows, Chief Strategy Officer at JWT London. "This generation has grown up witnessing and harnessing the power of social networks, so they have greater faith in themselves and communities to have influence and to drive change."
Image via Shutterstock
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...