News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bigger, heavier ecommerce pages taking longer to load
The latest quarterly "State of the Union" report from application delivery and solutions firm Radware reveals that the average retail website is a lot more cumbersome and slow to load today than it was a year ago resulting in a greater risk of negative brand perception.
Website developers know that there is a need for speed when it comes to the time taken for a website to load. Too long and consumers will get bored waiting and flit off to a website that loads faster.
The latest report from Radware reveals an uptick in load times as pages get bigger and heavier. The average time to load today among the top 500 ecommerce websites is a whopping 9.3 seconds, an increase of 21% in just one year. In addition, 50% of top ecommerce websites are taking 10 seconds or more to load.
Furthermore, time-to-interact, or how long it takes for a page's primary content to load and become usable, is also up - albeit slightly - rising from 4.9 seconds last year to 5 seconds today.
One reason for these increases is that the average ecommerce page now contains 99 resources such as CSS files and images, up from 93 a year ago. Size has also increased - up 31% from 1094KB a year go to today's 1436KB.
According to Tammy Everts, web performance evangelist at Radware, these slowdowns have a negative effect on brand perception, more so than outages.
"Slowdowns occur 10 times more frequently than outages, and over time, slowdowns can have double the negative financial impact as outages," says Everts. "This also has a major long-term impact on customer retention, as the permanent abandonment rate for a slow site is up to three times greater than the abandonment rate for a site that is down."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...