News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bigger, heavier ecommerce pages taking longer to load
The latest quarterly "State of the Union" report from application delivery and solutions firm Radware reveals that the average retail website is a lot more cumbersome and slow to load today than it was a year ago resulting in a greater risk of negative brand perception.
Website developers know that there is a need for speed when it comes to the time taken for a website to load. Too long and consumers will get bored waiting and flit off to a website that loads faster.
The latest report from Radware reveals an uptick in load times as pages get bigger and heavier. The average time to load today among the top 500 ecommerce websites is a whopping 9.3 seconds, an increase of 21% in just one year. In addition, 50% of top ecommerce websites are taking 10 seconds or more to load.
Furthermore, time-to-interact, or how long it takes for a page's primary content to load and become usable, is also up - albeit slightly - rising from 4.9 seconds last year to 5 seconds today.
One reason for these increases is that the average ecommerce page now contains 99 resources such as CSS files and images, up from 93 a year ago. Size has also increased - up 31% from 1094KB a year go to today's 1436KB.
According to Tammy Everts, web performance evangelist at Radware, these slowdowns have a negative effect on brand perception, more so than outages.
"Slowdowns occur 10 times more frequently than outages, and over time, slowdowns can have double the negative financial impact as outages," says Everts. "This also has a major long-term impact on customer retention, as the permanent abandonment rate for a slow site is up to three times greater than the abandonment rate for a site that is down."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...