News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bigger, heavier ecommerce pages taking longer to load
The latest quarterly "State of the Union" report from application delivery and solutions firm Radware reveals that the average retail website is a lot more cumbersome and slow to load today than it was a year ago resulting in a greater risk of negative brand perception.
Website developers know that there is a need for speed when it comes to the time taken for a website to load. Too long and consumers will get bored waiting and flit off to a website that loads faster.
The latest report from Radware reveals an uptick in load times as pages get bigger and heavier. The average time to load today among the top 500 ecommerce websites is a whopping 9.3 seconds, an increase of 21% in just one year. In addition, 50% of top ecommerce websites are taking 10 seconds or more to load.
Furthermore, time-to-interact, or how long it takes for a page's primary content to load and become usable, is also up - albeit slightly - rising from 4.9 seconds last year to 5 seconds today.
One reason for these increases is that the average ecommerce page now contains 99 resources such as CSS files and images, up from 93 a year ago. Size has also increased - up 31% from 1094KB a year go to today's 1436KB.
According to Tammy Everts, web performance evangelist at Radware, these slowdowns have a negative effect on brand perception, more so than outages.
"Slowdowns occur 10 times more frequently than outages, and over time, slowdowns can have double the negative financial impact as outages," says Everts. "This also has a major long-term impact on customer retention, as the permanent abandonment rate for a slow site is up to three times greater than the abandonment rate for a site that is down."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...