News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Unruly: Stop pushing funny, it's not working
For content to go viral it has to be funny, right? Not really. At least according to new data out from Unruly. According to the video tech hub's research branded content is more likely to 'go viral' if developers aren't trying to be funny.
Instead of funny, new data out from Unruly suggests brands need to go emotional triggers other than the funny bone because humor is - gasp - subjective. In other words, what is funny to a marketing team on Day 3 of Campaign Development might fall flat to consumers watching a video clip.
"For brands looking to optimize their chances of viral success, the video really needs to reach a critical mass of viewers within the first 24 hours of its launch," said Sarah Wood, co-founder and COO of Unruly. "Creating shareable content is half the challenge; it's equally important to get the ad seen by the right audiences, where consumers are discovering and sharing video content in their native environments. With social video, brands can win fast and lose fast, so it's important to optimize the launch date for 'shareability' and get content trending quickly across the right distribution channels."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 48% of weekly video shares come between Wednesday and Friday, making Wednesday the optimal campaign launch day
• 25% of a video's shares happen within the first 3 campaign days
• The 2 most-shared videos from the 2013 Super Bowl were not inherently funny
• Ads with more than 1 emotional trigger garnered the most shares
And remember then while developing that next campaign - consumers are in a sharing mood. The Unruly report found that the sharing of Super Bowl ads increased more than 100% between 2012 and 2013. Ads from the 2013 Super Bowl were shared more than 7.7 million times.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...