News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Unruly: Stop pushing funny, it's not working
For content to go viral it has to be funny, right? Not really. At least according to new data out from Unruly. According to the video tech hub's research branded content is more likely to 'go viral' if developers aren't trying to be funny.
Instead of funny, new data out from Unruly suggests brands need to go emotional triggers other than the funny bone because humor is - gasp - subjective. In other words, what is funny to a marketing team on Day 3 of Campaign Development might fall flat to consumers watching a video clip.
"For brands looking to optimize their chances of viral success, the video really needs to reach a critical mass of viewers within the first 24 hours of its launch," said Sarah Wood, co-founder and COO of Unruly. "Creating shareable content is half the challenge; it's equally important to get the ad seen by the right audiences, where consumers are discovering and sharing video content in their native environments. With social video, brands can win fast and lose fast, so it's important to optimize the launch date for 'shareability' and get content trending quickly across the right distribution channels."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 48% of weekly video shares come between Wednesday and Friday, making Wednesday the optimal campaign launch day
• 25% of a video's shares happen within the first 3 campaign days
• The 2 most-shared videos from the 2013 Super Bowl were not inherently funny
• Ads with more than 1 emotional trigger garnered the most shares
And remember then while developing that next campaign - consumers are in a sharing mood. The Unruly report found that the sharing of Super Bowl ads increased more than 100% between 2012 and 2013. Ads from the 2013 Super Bowl were shared more than 7.7 million times.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...