News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Unruly: Stop pushing funny, it's not working
For content to go viral it has to be funny, right? Not really. At least according to new data out from Unruly. According to the video tech hub's research branded content is more likely to 'go viral' if developers aren't trying to be funny.
Instead of funny, new data out from Unruly suggests brands need to go emotional triggers other than the funny bone because humor is - gasp - subjective. In other words, what is funny to a marketing team on Day 3 of Campaign Development might fall flat to consumers watching a video clip.
"For brands looking to optimize their chances of viral success, the video really needs to reach a critical mass of viewers within the first 24 hours of its launch," said Sarah Wood, co-founder and COO of Unruly. "Creating shareable content is half the challenge; it's equally important to get the ad seen by the right audiences, where consumers are discovering and sharing video content in their native environments. With social video, brands can win fast and lose fast, so it's important to optimize the launch date for 'shareability' and get content trending quickly across the right distribution channels."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 48% of weekly video shares come between Wednesday and Friday, making Wednesday the optimal campaign launch day
• 25% of a video's shares happen within the first 3 campaign days
• The 2 most-shared videos from the 2013 Super Bowl were not inherently funny
• Ads with more than 1 emotional trigger garnered the most shares
And remember then while developing that next campaign - consumers are in a sharing mood. The Unruly report found that the sharing of Super Bowl ads increased more than 100% between 2012 and 2013. Ads from the 2013 Super Bowl were shared more than 7.7 million times.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...