News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Unruly: Stop pushing funny, it's not working
For content to go viral it has to be funny, right? Not really. At least according to new data out from Unruly. According to the video tech hub's research branded content is more likely to 'go viral' if developers aren't trying to be funny.
Instead of funny, new data out from Unruly suggests brands need to go emotional triggers other than the funny bone because humor is - gasp - subjective. In other words, what is funny to a marketing team on Day 3 of Campaign Development might fall flat to consumers watching a video clip.
"For brands looking to optimize their chances of viral success, the video really needs to reach a critical mass of viewers within the first 24 hours of its launch," said Sarah Wood, co-founder and COO of Unruly. "Creating shareable content is half the challenge; it's equally important to get the ad seen by the right audiences, where consumers are discovering and sharing video content in their native environments. With social video, brands can win fast and lose fast, so it's important to optimize the launch date for 'shareability' and get content trending quickly across the right distribution channels."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 48% of weekly video shares come between Wednesday and Friday, making Wednesday the optimal campaign launch day
• 25% of a video's shares happen within the first 3 campaign days
• The 2 most-shared videos from the 2013 Super Bowl were not inherently funny
• Ads with more than 1 emotional trigger garnered the most shares
And remember then while developing that next campaign - consumers are in a sharing mood. The Unruly report found that the sharing of Super Bowl ads increased more than 100% between 2012 and 2013. Ads from the 2013 Super Bowl were shared more than 7.7 million times.
Image via Shutterstock
- Snapchat beats Facebook for daily video views
- Global study reveals 'authenticity deficit' among brands
- Report: Video is video regardless of screen
- Study: US mobile app experience low
- Top 4 tips to succeed at Mother's Day email
- Ad Roundup: New solutions for personalization, collaboration
- How brands can better manage social
- How data impacts marketing automation
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...