News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook hashtags have little effect on engagement
Hashtags are a powerful discovery tool on Twitter but, according to new research, they have little impact on engagement within the Facebook environment.
Back in April, I reported on how consumers are using hashtags on Twitter to explore new content. A survey by RadiumOne found that 41% click on hashtags to find out more about a product or brand.
Kamal Kaur, VP of mobile at RadiumOne said "hashtags implicitly reflect consumer sentiment and are one of the most powerful ways consumers have to vocalize their tastes and preferences at scale in a real-time fashion".
However, it turns out the same can't be said for the introduction of hashtags on Facebook.
Research from social media analytics firm Simply Measured has found that, while 20% of top brands' Facebook posts now include hashtags, there is no evidence they are influencing engagement. In fact, according to the research, posts with hashtags perform just as well as those without.
Almost all of the Interbrand Top 100 brands have a Facebook presence, yet just 20% of posts from the group have incorporated hashtags on the social network.
Instead, visual content is by far the major driver of engagement on Facebook. Photos posted by top brands average more than 9,400 engagements (which include Likes, comments, and shares) per post, while video posts average more than 2,500 engagements.
"This latest research once again proves that knowing your audience, understanding your content assets and measuring your efforts are extremely important to develop the social strategies that will work best for you," said Adam Schoenfeld, CEO of Simply Measured.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...