News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook hashtags have little effect on engagement
Hashtags are a powerful discovery tool on Twitter but, according to new research, they have little impact on engagement within the Facebook environment.
Back in April, I reported on how consumers are using hashtags on Twitter to explore new content. A survey by RadiumOne found that 41% click on hashtags to find out more about a product or brand.
Kamal Kaur, VP of mobile at RadiumOne said "hashtags implicitly reflect consumer sentiment and are one of the most powerful ways consumers have to vocalize their tastes and preferences at scale in a real-time fashion".
However, it turns out the same can't be said for the introduction of hashtags on Facebook.
Research from social media analytics firm Simply Measured has found that, while 20% of top brands' Facebook posts now include hashtags, there is no evidence they are influencing engagement. In fact, according to the research, posts with hashtags perform just as well as those without.
Almost all of the Interbrand Top 100 brands have a Facebook presence, yet just 20% of posts from the group have incorporated hashtags on the social network.
Instead, visual content is by far the major driver of engagement on Facebook. Photos posted by top brands average more than 9,400 engagements (which include Likes, comments, and shares) per post, while video posts average more than 2,500 engagements.
"This latest research once again proves that knowing your audience, understanding your content assets and measuring your efforts are extremely important to develop the social strategies that will work best for you," said Adam Schoenfeld, CEO of Simply Measured.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...