News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
YouTube is celebrating its eighth birthday and has revealed that a huge amount of video content is now uploaded every minute. But, are the ads that are often attached to video content any more effective than those on television?
Two years ago, YouTube users were uploading 48 hours of video every minute. Today that figure stands at a whopping 100 hours per minute and 1 billion use the website each month.
Many people now use YouTube to watch a variety of user-generated and professional content, and are exposed to advertising on the website in the form of short commercials before, during or after each video. But are these ads as effective or popular as television ads?
According to an Ask Your Target Market survey, 16% of respondents watch online videos several times each day. Furthermore, 17% watch online video daily and 28% several times each week. However, only 5% said they always pay attention to the ads that accompany video content and 14% pay attention most of the time. Eighteen percent never pay attention.
How does that compare with television ads? The situation is very similar. While Americans still watch more television than they do online video (24% watch multiple TV shows daily and 36% watch TV daily), only 6% always pay attention to television ads and 15% pay attention most of the time. Twelve percent say they never pay attention.
In terms of ad effectiveness, just 8% believe online video ads are more effective than television ads, while 35% believe ads on television are more effective than online video ads. A quarter of all respondents believe the two formats are equally as effective.
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...