News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wifi access influences where shoppers shop
New research from JiWire reveals that wifi connectivity not only impacts the way that shoppers shop, but also where.
There are three cafes in the small village near where I live. Usually I pick which one I want to visit by the number of spare seats, or a special offer. Today I picked the one with wifi.
I'm not alone in my preference for frequenting stores where wifi is available. According to JiWire's Mobile Audience Insights Report (Q4 2012), 80% are influenced where to shop by the availability of wifi. Mobile usage on public wifi has increased 53% in the last year.
I wanted wifi today so I could whip out my Nexus 7 and do a bit of news surfing. However, JiWire's research found that most shoppers want wifi so they can check prices, download deals and coupons, or read reviews.
The types of places people most-use their mobile for shopping were found to be:
- Electronics retailers - 44.4%
- Clothing retailers - 21.9%
- Mall - 14.1%
- Big box retailers - 14.1%
- Restaurants - 14.1%
The message to retailers is this. You won't stop showrooming by blocking access to wifi in your store, as some do. Instead, you are discouraging an increasing number of connected consumers from entering your store. While wary of showrooming, retailers must consider the preferences of today's mobile-toting shopper, or café dweller, and their need to stay connected.
- Survey highlights importance of returns process to consumer loyalty
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
- Advertising for young children looks promising on a new YouTube app for kids
- Twitter responses to customer queries slow and sloppy
- App channel worth over £4 billion to UK brands
- Facebook: 2 million advertisers milestone and new mobile ad manager
- Alternative to Dropbox and Box
- Use response to welcome emails to predict future subscriber engagement
Featured White Papers
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...