News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wifi access influences where shoppers shop
New research from JiWire reveals that wifi connectivity not only impacts the way that shoppers shop, but also where.
There are three cafes in the small village near where I live. Usually I pick which one I want to visit by the number of spare seats, or a special offer. Today I picked the one with wifi.
I'm not alone in my preference for frequenting stores where wifi is available. According to JiWire's Mobile Audience Insights Report (Q4 2012), 80% are influenced where to shop by the availability of wifi. Mobile usage on public wifi has increased 53% in the last year.
I wanted wifi today so I could whip out my Nexus 7 and do a bit of news surfing. However, JiWire's research found that most shoppers want wifi so they can check prices, download deals and coupons, or read reviews.
The types of places people most-use their mobile for shopping were found to be:
- Electronics retailers - 44.4%
- Clothing retailers - 21.9%
- Mall - 14.1%
- Big box retailers - 14.1%
- Restaurants - 14.1%
The message to retailers is this. You won't stop showrooming by blocking access to wifi in your store, as some do. Instead, you are discouraging an increasing number of connected consumers from entering your store. While wary of showrooming, retailers must consider the preferences of today's mobile-toting shopper, or café dweller, and their need to stay connected.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...