News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wifi access influences where shoppers shop
New research from JiWire reveals that wifi connectivity not only impacts the way that shoppers shop, but also where.
There are three cafes in the small village near where I live. Usually I pick which one I want to visit by the number of spare seats, or a special offer. Today I picked the one with wifi.
I'm not alone in my preference for frequenting stores where wifi is available. According to JiWire's Mobile Audience Insights Report (Q4 2012), 80% are influenced where to shop by the availability of wifi. Mobile usage on public wifi has increased 53% in the last year.
I wanted wifi today so I could whip out my Nexus 7 and do a bit of news surfing. However, JiWire's research found that most shoppers want wifi so they can check prices, download deals and coupons, or read reviews.
The types of places people most-use their mobile for shopping were found to be:
- Electronics retailers - 44.4%
- Clothing retailers - 21.9%
- Mall - 14.1%
- Big box retailers - 14.1%
- Restaurants - 14.1%
The message to retailers is this. You won't stop showrooming by blocking access to wifi in your store, as some do. Instead, you are discouraging an increasing number of connected consumers from entering your store. While wary of showrooming, retailers must consider the preferences of today's mobile-toting shopper, or café dweller, and their need to stay connected.
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
- Study: SMB's pushing the social media spend
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
- Apps are asking users for too much personal data and providing too little privacy information
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...