News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wifi access influences where shoppers shop
New research from JiWire reveals that wifi connectivity not only impacts the way that shoppers shop, but also where.
There are three cafes in the small village near where I live. Usually I pick which one I want to visit by the number of spare seats, or a special offer. Today I picked the one with wifi.
I'm not alone in my preference for frequenting stores where wifi is available. According to JiWire's Mobile Audience Insights Report (Q4 2012), 80% are influenced where to shop by the availability of wifi. Mobile usage on public wifi has increased 53% in the last year.
I wanted wifi today so I could whip out my Nexus 7 and do a bit of news surfing. However, JiWire's research found that most shoppers want wifi so they can check prices, download deals and coupons, or read reviews.
The types of places people most-use their mobile for shopping were found to be:
- Electronics retailers - 44.4%
- Clothing retailers - 21.9%
- Mall - 14.1%
- Big box retailers - 14.1%
- Restaurants - 14.1%
The message to retailers is this. You won't stop showrooming by blocking access to wifi in your store, as some do. Instead, you are discouraging an increasing number of connected consumers from entering your store. While wary of showrooming, retailers must consider the preferences of today's mobile-toting shopper, or café dweller, and their need to stay connected.
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...