News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Men prefer gaming on consoles, women on smartphones
Following on from recent research by Mintel that revealed more girls in the U.K. use smartphones than boys, who instead prefer gaming consoles and PCs, is an online survey in the U.S. from Frank N. Magid Associates and PlaySpan that comes to the same conclusion.
According to Mintel's UK-based survey, girls age 7-15 were more likely to own, and use, a smartphone than boys the same age. Furthermore, boys are more likely to own and use gadgets that entertain, such as game consoles and desktop computers.
New research in the U.S. from Magid and PlaySpan also found a gender discrepancy with the use of these gadgets.
They survey reveals that mobile is fast becoming the gaming platform of choice. While 35% of respondents said that gaming consoles were their platform of choice, 45% cited mobile devices (34% smartphones / 11% tablets). PCs were favored by just 6%.
"The modern era of console, PC and mobile game development is quickly changing," said PlaySpan head Andre Machicao. "Developers are faced with more platform choices and monetization channels than ever before, and these survey results offer a clear view into where developers should be placing their bets to broaden their audience."
Despite the adoption of mobile, men were far more likely to prefer gaming consoles than women - 49% vs. 18% - while more women preferred smartphones than men - 45% vs. 25%.
Image via Shutterstock
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
- Adobe: $27billion spent so far, 46% mobile traffic
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...