News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Men prefer gaming on consoles, women on smartphones
Following on from recent research by Mintel that revealed more girls in the U.K. use smartphones than boys, who instead prefer gaming consoles and PCs, is an online survey in the U.S. from Frank N. Magid Associates and PlaySpan that comes to the same conclusion.
According to Mintel's UK-based survey, girls age 7-15 were more likely to own, and use, a smartphone than boys the same age. Furthermore, boys are more likely to own and use gadgets that entertain, such as game consoles and desktop computers.
New research in the U.S. from Magid and PlaySpan also found a gender discrepancy with the use of these gadgets.
They survey reveals that mobile is fast becoming the gaming platform of choice. While 35% of respondents said that gaming consoles were their platform of choice, 45% cited mobile devices (34% smartphones / 11% tablets). PCs were favored by just 6%.
"The modern era of console, PC and mobile game development is quickly changing," said PlaySpan head Andre Machicao. "Developers are faced with more platform choices and monetization channels than ever before, and these survey results offer a clear view into where developers should be placing their bets to broaden their audience."
Despite the adoption of mobile, men were far more likely to prefer gaming consoles than women - 49% vs. 18% - while more women preferred smartphones than men - 45% vs. 25%.
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...