News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Men prefer gaming on consoles, women on smartphones
Following on from recent research by Mintel that revealed more girls in the U.K. use smartphones than boys, who instead prefer gaming consoles and PCs, is an online survey in the U.S. from Frank N. Magid Associates and PlaySpan that comes to the same conclusion.
According to Mintel's UK-based survey, girls age 7-15 were more likely to own, and use, a smartphone than boys the same age. Furthermore, boys are more likely to own and use gadgets that entertain, such as game consoles and desktop computers.
New research in the U.S. from Magid and PlaySpan also found a gender discrepancy with the use of these gadgets.
They survey reveals that mobile is fast becoming the gaming platform of choice. While 35% of respondents said that gaming consoles were their platform of choice, 45% cited mobile devices (34% smartphones / 11% tablets). PCs were favored by just 6%.
"The modern era of console, PC and mobile game development is quickly changing," said PlaySpan head Andre Machicao. "Developers are faced with more platform choices and monetization channels than ever before, and these survey results offer a clear view into where developers should be placing their bets to broaden their audience."
Despite the adoption of mobile, men were far more likely to prefer gaming consoles than women - 49% vs. 18% - while more women preferred smartphones than men - 45% vs. 25%.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Safety key to wearables future
- Study: Half of shoppers look for 'https' or other security symbols online
- Cash, and wallets, soon to be things of the past?
- Expert: How Siri, Echo are changing content needs
- Costumes are big business again this Halloween
- Mobile to play increasing role in holiday season shopping
- Nielsen research reveals countries least likely to embrace mobile-only banking
- Mobile use in restaurants - tolerable or taboo?
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....