News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Magazine sales plummet as mobile shoppers ignore newsstands
According to new figures, sales of consumer magazines at newsstands across the US dropped in the second half of 2012 in part, say some publishers, because of a phenomenon dubbed "mobile blinder".
Before the days of smartphones and texting, consumers waiting in lines at supermarkets might mull over the confectionery selection or browse through magazines on the newsstand.
Today, however, consumers are more likely to whip out their mobile device and catch up on emails, Facebook or read the latest news. Called "mobile blinder" after the vision-narrowing contraptions used on racehorses, this behavior, says the president of Hearst Magazines, David Carey, is partly responsible for the decline in newsstand sales in the U.S. which dropped 8.2% in the second half of 2012.
The "mobile blinder" effect has hit the women's, fashion, and celebrity gossip magazines the hardest. These are the titles most likely to be positioned next to supermarket check-out queues where even men used to be happy to have a quick flick through. The U.S.'s highest-selling magazine, Cosmopolitan, has seen single-copy sales plummet 18.5% in the last six months of 2012.
"We do find a number of people, if stalled for a minute, will steal a look at their email or news feed," Carey told the Financial Times. "Everyone that has products at checkouts has to battle for consumer attention."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...