News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Magazine sales plummet as mobile shoppers ignore newsstands
According to new figures, sales of consumer magazines at newsstands across the US dropped in the second half of 2012 in part, say some publishers, because of a phenomenon dubbed "mobile blinder".
Before the days of smartphones and texting, consumers waiting in lines at supermarkets might mull over the confectionery selection or browse through magazines on the newsstand.
Today, however, consumers are more likely to whip out their mobile device and catch up on emails, Facebook or read the latest news. Called "mobile blinder" after the vision-narrowing contraptions used on racehorses, this behavior, says the president of Hearst Magazines, David Carey, is partly responsible for the decline in newsstand sales in the U.S. which dropped 8.2% in the second half of 2012.
The "mobile blinder" effect has hit the women's, fashion, and celebrity gossip magazines the hardest. These are the titles most likely to be positioned next to supermarket check-out queues where even men used to be happy to have a quick flick through. The U.S.'s highest-selling magazine, Cosmopolitan, has seen single-copy sales plummet 18.5% in the last six months of 2012.
"We do find a number of people, if stalled for a minute, will steal a look at their email or news feed," Carey told the Financial Times. "Everyone that has products at checkouts has to battle for consumer attention."
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...