News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email: Misspelling names breeds consumer resentment
Obtaining a consumer's personal details can be like getting blood out of a stone, according to a new survey from YouGov commissioned by customer intelligence and marketing firm Emailvision. Even the promise of better targeted offers fails to coax a name out of them.
Emailvision's online survey of 2,001 consumers in the UK reveals that 40% of consumers aren't persuaded by better targeted offers to give up their personal data.
While almost 4 in 10 were happy to disclose their gender, and 37% would be happy to reveal their age, just 28% would be willing to share their name.
Marketers have a real task on their hands to convince consumers to part with valuable data. Unless consumers can see real value in divulging their details, they will remain reticent to share.
And, whatever you do, once you have coaxed from a consumer their cherished personal details, don't screw them up. Half of consumers in the study said that having their names misspelled was a real no-no and annoying. Be extra careful with gender, too, because addressing a Mr as Miss will cause resentment among 40%.
"When a visitor interacts with your online business, they are giving you their data in exchange for a relevant experience with your brand. If a business doesn't choose to make use of this data correctly, they are missing out on important knowledge that could positively or negatively impact business for years to come," says Emailvision Director Neil Hamilton.
"It's imperative that a customer never becomes 'just a number' even in a database of millions. Technology enables all businesses to treat their customers to a personalized experience across multiple sales channels."
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...