News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email: Misspelling names breeds consumer resentment
Obtaining a consumer's personal details can be like getting blood out of a stone, according to a new survey from YouGov commissioned by customer intelligence and marketing firm Emailvision. Even the promise of better targeted offers fails to coax a name out of them.
Emailvision's online survey of 2,001 consumers in the UK reveals that 40% of consumers aren't persuaded by better targeted offers to give up their personal data.
While almost 4 in 10 were happy to disclose their gender, and 37% would be happy to reveal their age, just 28% would be willing to share their name.
Marketers have a real task on their hands to convince consumers to part with valuable data. Unless consumers can see real value in divulging their details, they will remain reticent to share.
And, whatever you do, once you have coaxed from a consumer their cherished personal details, don't screw them up. Half of consumers in the study said that having their names misspelled was a real no-no and annoying. Be extra careful with gender, too, because addressing a Mr as Miss will cause resentment among 40%.
"When a visitor interacts with your online business, they are giving you their data in exchange for a relevant experience with your brand. If a business doesn't choose to make use of this data correctly, they are missing out on important knowledge that could positively or negatively impact business for years to come," says Emailvision Director Neil Hamilton.
"It's imperative that a customer never becomes 'just a number' even in a database of millions. Technology enables all businesses to treat their customers to a personalized experience across multiple sales channels."
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...