News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email: Misspelling names breeds consumer resentment
Obtaining a consumer's personal details can be like getting blood out of a stone, according to a new survey from YouGov commissioned by customer intelligence and marketing firm Emailvision. Even the promise of better targeted offers fails to coax a name out of them.
Emailvision's online survey of 2,001 consumers in the UK reveals that 40% of consumers aren't persuaded by better targeted offers to give up their personal data.
While almost 4 in 10 were happy to disclose their gender, and 37% would be happy to reveal their age, just 28% would be willing to share their name.
Marketers have a real task on their hands to convince consumers to part with valuable data. Unless consumers can see real value in divulging their details, they will remain reticent to share.
And, whatever you do, once you have coaxed from a consumer their cherished personal details, don't screw them up. Half of consumers in the study said that having their names misspelled was a real no-no and annoying. Be extra careful with gender, too, because addressing a Mr as Miss will cause resentment among 40%.
"When a visitor interacts with your online business, they are giving you their data in exchange for a relevant experience with your brand. If a business doesn't choose to make use of this data correctly, they are missing out on important knowledge that could positively or negatively impact business for years to come," says Emailvision Director Neil Hamilton.
"It's imperative that a customer never becomes 'just a number' even in a database of millions. Technology enables all businesses to treat their customers to a personalized experience across multiple sales channels."
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...