News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email: Misspelling names breeds consumer resentment
Obtaining a consumer's personal details can be like getting blood out of a stone, according to a new survey from YouGov commissioned by customer intelligence and marketing firm Emailvision. Even the promise of better targeted offers fails to coax a name out of them.
Emailvision's online survey of 2,001 consumers in the UK reveals that 40% of consumers aren't persuaded by better targeted offers to give up their personal data.
While almost 4 in 10 were happy to disclose their gender, and 37% would be happy to reveal their age, just 28% would be willing to share their name.
Marketers have a real task on their hands to convince consumers to part with valuable data. Unless consumers can see real value in divulging their details, they will remain reticent to share.
And, whatever you do, once you have coaxed from a consumer their cherished personal details, don't screw them up. Half of consumers in the study said that having their names misspelled was a real no-no and annoying. Be extra careful with gender, too, because addressing a Mr as Miss will cause resentment among 40%.
"When a visitor interacts with your online business, they are giving you their data in exchange for a relevant experience with your brand. If a business doesn't choose to make use of this data correctly, they are missing out on important knowledge that could positively or negatively impact business for years to come," says Emailvision Director Neil Hamilton.
"It's imperative that a customer never becomes 'just a number' even in a database of millions. Technology enables all businesses to treat their customers to a personalized experience across multiple sales channels."
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...