News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
No more free Google Apps for small businesses
No more free Google Apps for businesses, announces Google in one of its most significant changes yet, as the company aims to provide a more consistent user experience to all business customers.
Businesses with 10 or fewer employees have, until now, enjoyed free use of Google Apps. However, after Thursday's announcement, they will now have to cough up $50 per user, per year, to use Google Apps software which includes word processing, spreadsheets, email, and presentation programs. The cost is the same as larger businesses currently pay.
In total, more than 5 million businesses use Google Apps, although how many of those are free users is not known.
"When we launched the premium business version we kept our free, basic version as well. Both businesses and individuals signed up for this version, but time has shown that in practice, the experience isn't quite right for either group," writes Clay Bavor, Director of Product Management, Google Apps, on the company's blog.
"Businesses quickly outgrow the basic version, and want things like 24/7 customer support and larger inboxes. Similarly, consumers often have to wait to get new features while we make them business-ready."
Small businesses already using Google Apps free of charge will not be affected by this change. Likewise, Google Apps for Education will remain available as a free service for schools and universities.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...