News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
No more free Google Apps for small businesses
No more free Google Apps for businesses, announces Google in one of its most significant changes yet, as the company aims to provide a more consistent user experience to all business customers.
Businesses with 10 or fewer employees have, until now, enjoyed free use of Google Apps. However, after Thursday's announcement, they will now have to cough up $50 per user, per year, to use Google Apps software which includes word processing, spreadsheets, email, and presentation programs. The cost is the same as larger businesses currently pay.
In total, more than 5 million businesses use Google Apps, although how many of those are free users is not known.
"When we launched the premium business version we kept our free, basic version as well. Both businesses and individuals signed up for this version, but time has shown that in practice, the experience isn't quite right for either group," writes Clay Bavor, Director of Product Management, Google Apps, on the company's blog.
"Businesses quickly outgrow the basic version, and want things like 24/7 customer support and larger inboxes. Similarly, consumers often have to wait to get new features while we make them business-ready."
Small businesses already using Google Apps free of charge will not be affected by this change. Likewise, Google Apps for Education will remain available as a free service for schools and universities.
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
- Apps are asking users for too much personal data and providing too little privacy information
- Expert: SMBs banking on themselves
- Top 3 tips to drive social gifting
- Mobile key for back-to-school finds survey
- Facebook asks users why they hide newsfeed ads
- How social gifting will change ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to improve email delivery
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...