News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media the place to announce "I Voted"
According to a new study from Pew Research, social media is the place to announce who you voted for and, if you're an Obama fan, the place to brag about it.
Published yesterday, the Pew Research findings show that Facebook and Twitter are used by nearly a quarter of American voters to broadcast who they put a tick against.
A quarter of Barack Obama supporters and 20% of Mitt Romney supporters have used social media to announce their preference.
It's not surprising to note that younger voters, those age 18 to 29, were the most likely to announce they voted (29%) and 34% encouraged others in their social network to vote for the same candidate. That compares with just 9% of Americans age 65 and over who used social media to persuade others who they should vote for.
However, the most popular way to discuss politics remains face-to-face. Pew's report found that more than half of respondents said someone had tried to persuade them to vote for Obama or Romney in person in the past 30 days.
Facebook has been keeping track of how many of its users are posting about their voting activity. A newsfeed post that appeared to all Americans of voting age contained a link to maps of polling places along with an "I Voted" button.
As of the time of writing, double the number of women than men had clicked the "I Voted" button with the figures standing at 6,358,001 female voters and 3,277,446 male voters.
- Study: Calls more valuable to brands than clicks
- Research reveals toddlers are mastering mobile
- Experian helps tackle the challenges of data migration
- Survey: SMBs concerned about cyber security
- Study: Android passes iOS in mobile revenue
- Forrester: 96% of music sales will occur online by 2019
- Ad Roundup: New sales and mobile analysis tools
- Reports: SMBs overworked but happy
Featured White Papers
- Successful, Easy Mobile Email Design
For email marketers, smartphones present a puzzle. The device are widely used to read email and consumers are increasingly willing...
- The Video Marketing Handbook
Everything you need to build a video marketing strategy. The Video Marketing Handbook covers everything from video production through to...
- Gain Real-time email competitive intelligence with this video
Watch this short webinar today and see for yourself how you can gain access to email competitive data, real-time inbox...