News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over 70% of Facebook Pages inactive during October
Many brands and businesses aren't getting the most out of social media. Analysis of more than 5.7 million Facebook Pages reveals that 7 out of 10 were inactive during the month of October, with zero updates.
Despite providing a plethora of tools to make Facebook Pages more attractive and functional for businesses and other groups, research by Recommend.ly found that just over 70% were inactive during October this year.
Community Pages were found to be the most likely to have zero updates posted in a month (79.3%) followed by company Pages (73.5%) and Pages set up by public figures (72.6%).
According to Recommend.ly, Pages that have selected a specific business category name such as 'restaurants/cafes' or 'spas', tend to be more active and focused on posting to Facebook. Nearly 50% of both (44.5% and 48.7% respectively) post between six and 99 updates per month.
When brands enter a social arena they must be sure to participate. However, the research found a worrying number of Pages, 83% overall, lack any participation at all whether it be sharing, Liking or commenting on a post either they, or their Fans, had created. The same categories that had zero updates in a month (community, company and public figure) were not participating on their Page.
"With the introduction of Timeline view, Facebook aimed to make Pages more popular with both businesses and fans. However, due to high levels of inactivity from Page owners and also falling engagement from fans, businesses are still not able to use Pages effectively," concludes Krishna Neelamraju on the Recommend.ly blog. "With visual content giving much higher engagement than before, businesses need to change their content strategies to be able to fully utilize the opportunity to access a social network with over one billion active users."
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...