News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More than three-quarters of young Americans use smartphones
Over three-quarters of Americans age 43 and under now use a smartphone, according to new figures released by Frank N. Magid Associates, as do nearly six out of 10 U.S. consumers.
The figures keep rolling in and they continue to illustrate Americans' love of new mobile technology.
According to Magid's 2012 mobile study, smartphones are now used by 58% of American consumers age 12-64. Among younger age groups that figure rises to a significant 76% (age under 44).
Marketers need to take note and optimize campaigns according to consumers' increasing obsession with mobile technology. There's no escaping the fact that mobile will dominate content consumption in the future.
"There's no such thing as distinct mobile content anymore," said Tom Godfrey, Magid's Executive Director of Mobile Strategy. "What publishers and advertisers have to realize is that most content going forward will be consumed on a mobile device and that it must be accessible and optimized for that platform."
Growth is set to continue and, by mid 2013, the number of consumers with smartphones will increase 53% from 99 million to 151 million. Magid forecasts that Android users will continue to outstrip iPhone users - 48% vs. 32%.
Tablet audiences will also increase significantly doubling from 51 million this year to 106 million in 2013. Again, Android is making headway into the iPad's share of the market cutting it from 72% in 2011 to today's 50%.
New figures released this week by comScore show that half of feature phone users in the U.S. who purchased a new device during April this year upgraded to a smartphone, an increase of 9.5 percentage points on 2011.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...