News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals generational differences when leaving online product reviews
Millennials are more likely to give negative product reviews than Gen X or Boomers, according to new research from Bazaarvoice, with the Irish being the most negative of all.
Product reviews are contributed by people of all ages, in all countries and, on the whole, they're positive (82%). However, when it comes to contributing negative reviews, one age group stands out as being more negative than most - Millennials.
According to Bazaarvoice's study of 6 million consumer online opinions in 7 countries - Australia, Canada, Germany, Mexico, New Zealand, UK and US - Millennials give more 1-star reviews than Generation X or Boomers.
According to Jason Dorsey, CEO of The Center for Generational Kinetics, "The different ways each generation engages in the online consumer conversation can be as revealing as what they are actually saying".
The most negative Millennials are to be found in Ireland, where 12% give products 1- or 2-star ratings. At the other end of the spectrum, New Zealand's Millennials are the most positive, giving products 4- or 5-star reviews 92% of the time, 10% above the global average.
"Generational segmentation provides a powerful lens to view your online brand conversations around the world. This lens is often more accurate and timely than age segmentation traditionally used by advertisers," says Dorsey. "The explanation is simple: there is more consistency and predictability by birth cohort than by arbitrary age ranges such as 18 to 25 or 26 to 34. Why are we seeing this shift? One reason: delayed adulthood."
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...