News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Noise, spam and self-promotion are Twitter turn-offs
Have you ever wondered why you've been "Unfollowed" on Twitter? An Econsultancy poll reveals the most common reasons why you might see your Follower count dwindle.
If you're using Twitter to keep in touch with consumers or businesses, you might want to take a step back and check whether the way you're using the micro-blogging platform is killing your popularity.
Econsultancy recently created an online poll to ascertain the reasons why Followers might resort to the "Unfollow" button.
The top reason you'll be Unfollowed is for too much 'noise' or Tweeting too often, cited by 52% of respondents. Think twice before you punch in what you're having for lunch or keep a running commentary going on a football game.
You might also want to stop blowing your own trumpet. The second most-popular reason for Unfollowing someone is if they're hell-bent on self-promotion - cited by 48%. Of course, a little self-promotion doesn't hurt, but your Followers don't want to feel they're constantly being marketed to.
Rounding off the top three reasons for losing a Follower is too much spam - cited by 47%. This can also hook into the "too much noise" category as sending out Tweet after Tweet in a short timescale is tantamount to spamming, even if it doesn't promise a new iPad or promote Viagra.
Check out Econsultancy's blog post for more reasons why your Followers may turn off.
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...