News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Noise, spam and self-promotion are Twitter turn-offs
Have you ever wondered why you've been "Unfollowed" on Twitter? An Econsultancy poll reveals the most common reasons why you might see your Follower count dwindle.
If you're using Twitter to keep in touch with consumers or businesses, you might want to take a step back and check whether the way you're using the micro-blogging platform is killing your popularity.
Econsultancy recently created an online poll to ascertain the reasons why Followers might resort to the "Unfollow" button.
The top reason you'll be Unfollowed is for too much 'noise' or Tweeting too often, cited by 52% of respondents. Think twice before you punch in what you're having for lunch or keep a running commentary going on a football game.
You might also want to stop blowing your own trumpet. The second most-popular reason for Unfollowing someone is if they're hell-bent on self-promotion - cited by 48%. Of course, a little self-promotion doesn't hurt, but your Followers don't want to feel they're constantly being marketed to.
Rounding off the top three reasons for losing a Follower is too much spam - cited by 47%. This can also hook into the "too much noise" category as sending out Tweet after Tweet in a short timescale is tantamount to spamming, even if it doesn't promise a new iPad or promote Viagra.
Check out Econsultancy's blog post for more reasons why your Followers may turn off.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...