News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Microsoft: Email use continues to rise
New research from MarketTools, commissioned by Microsoft, found that good old email remains as popular as ever as a communication tool and will remain the dominant channel into the foreseeable future, despite the growth of social and mobile.
Market research company MarketTools surveyed 1,268 professionals and students over the age of 18 about their use of communication channels such as email, social media, mobile and instant messaging. .
They found that, while social media and mobile messaging use is on the increase, email use increased the most.
Almost half (45%) of those surveyed said that their use of email had increased in the past year while 51% said it had remained the same. Very few (4%) said their email use had decreased over the last twelve months.
Meanwhile, use of social media for communication purposes, including Facebook and Twitter, increased among 28% of respondents and remained the same for 65% while 10% had decreased their use of it.
Just 14% of respondents have increased their use of instant messaging (IM) over the last year, less than the number who have increased phone (16%) or face-to-face communication (15%).
Email will continue to hold its own as a communication tool in the coming years. MarketTools' research found that over the next five years 96% of respondents expect their email use at work to increase (45%) or stay the same (51%), and almost the same number, 91%, expect their home email use to rise (36%) or remain the same (55%).
"Just as email didn't kill the telephone and video didn't kill the radio, newer messaging tools won't kill email," said Microsoft's Office corporate vice president Takeshi Numoto.
"In fact, the survey tells us that the overall volume of communication is increasing as a whole."
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...