News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Microsoft: Email use continues to rise
New research from MarketTools, commissioned by Microsoft, found that good old email remains as popular as ever as a communication tool and will remain the dominant channel into the foreseeable future, despite the growth of social and mobile.
Market research company MarketTools surveyed 1,268 professionals and students over the age of 18 about their use of communication channels such as email, social media, mobile and instant messaging. .
They found that, while social media and mobile messaging use is on the increase, email use increased the most.
Almost half (45%) of those surveyed said that their use of email had increased in the past year while 51% said it had remained the same. Very few (4%) said their email use had decreased over the last twelve months.
Meanwhile, use of social media for communication purposes, including Facebook and Twitter, increased among 28% of respondents and remained the same for 65% while 10% had decreased their use of it.
Just 14% of respondents have increased their use of instant messaging (IM) over the last year, less than the number who have increased phone (16%) or face-to-face communication (15%).
Email will continue to hold its own as a communication tool in the coming years. MarketTools' research found that over the next five years 96% of respondents expect their email use at work to increase (45%) or stay the same (51%), and almost the same number, 91%, expect their home email use to rise (36%) or remain the same (55%).
"Just as email didn't kill the telephone and video didn't kill the radio, newer messaging tools won't kill email," said Microsoft's Office corporate vice president Takeshi Numoto.
"In fact, the survey tells us that the overall volume of communication is increasing as a whole."
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...