Mobio: QR Code use up 1200% in six months
QR Codes have been around for a while, it’s only recently they have caused a real buzz among marketers. According to recently released figures from Mobio, during July to December of last year, QR code scanning grew a massive 1200%, probably due to a series of high profile marketing campaigns that used the tool.
For those not familiar with QR codes, they are two-dimensional (2D) matrix barcodes that can hold far more information than a traditional barcode.
Reading a QR code with a camera-enabled smartphone links the user to digital content on the Internet or activates a number of phone functions including email, IM and SMS, or connects the mobile device to a web browser.
Here are a just a few ways QR Codes can be used to engage consumers, build up social media followers or simply provide a bit of fun:
1. Bridge the gap between offline marketing by including QR Codes on marketing elements such as print ads, billboards, window displays, in-store signage and direct mail.
2. Expand product and company information via QR Codes on packaging and literature.
3. Get consumers on the phone by creating a QR Code that will automatically dial a predetermined number.
4. Does your staff wear a uniform? Why not add a QR Code to their attire and encourage customers to snap them?
5. Real estate agents can add QR Codes on For Sale signs to give passers by a peek inside.
6. Put a QR Code on company vehicles – ideal for mobile users stuck behind them in traffic.
7. Publishers can use QR Codes on book and magazine covers that enable the browsing of reviews.
8. Provide access to your user manuals in various languages via a QR Code link.
9. Doctor’s waiting rooms and hospital halls can become libraries with QR Codes linking those waiting to ebooks and other digital entertainment.
10. Why not go the whole hog and make your entire business premises into one big QR Code?