News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: More shoppers show-rooming than buying in store
While the retail store will likely never die, there is a big change going on in many retail locations - the trend of showrooming. According to new Criteo data, an increasing number of shoppers, mostly younger, are now using storefronts to 'showroom' clothing and accessories, and then buying them online.
Criteo has released the Apparel Trend Report: Reconciling the Tech with the Tactile, and among the more interesting findings is that a full one-third of purchases made during the 2016 holiday season were complete via mobile device.
"The apparel and accessories category is witnessing a massive transformation," said Jonathan Opdyke, President, Brand Solutions, Criteo. "Millennial shoppers purchase the majority of their clothing and accessories online and retail storefronts are shifting to showrooming, in which shoppers can experience in real life and then purchase online. Apparel brands and retailers must embrace the new 'always-on' retail paradigm, where seasonality plays less of a role and in-store and online technology innovation enhances the shopper experience."
Researchers also found that apparel shopping carts held an average of 3 items; the average value of an apparel shopping cart was just over $95 (Q3 2016). During the holiday season, Sunday was a peak shopping day online, with carts averaging $126 on Sunday, November 13.
Because of these trends, Criteo experts believe now is the time for retailers to embrace not only the 'always on' trends of digital and mobile commerce, but to offer in-store tech options like eBay 'Magic Mirrors', and to use product listing ads to drive more awareness of products.
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...