News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Consumers aren't overexposed during campaigns
An interesting finding from IntegralAds' new H2 2016 Media Quality Report is that, contrary to popular opinion, consumers aren't being overexposed to products or brands during campaigns. Researchers, in fact, ad fraud is making it seem as if more viewable ads are being served than actually are being served.
According to the report advertising fraud is about 88% higher on home pages than on article pages, and that at night bots are significantly more active, making it less likely that ads are being served to humans. Ad fraud, researchers found, steadies at about 8am and remains steady throughout the day, but between 12AM and 4 AM, bot traffic peaks.
"There is a misconception that consumers are often overexposed during a campaign, but our data tells a different story. A noteworthy finding from our Media Quality Report is that 70-85% of consumers are only served one viewable ad during the lifetime of a campaign, undermining the ability of brands to influence people," says Maria Pousa, CMO at IAS. "We have been helping our customers understand the optimum time and frequency that consumers should be exposed to ads, so brands can turn attention into behavior. Given the fragmentation of platforms and standards, we foresee that the industry will move towards time-based metrics to determine campaign success in the upcoming years."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Vertically oriented ads are more viewable than horizontal
• Between 60% and 80% of consumers are served only 1-2 viewable impressions per campaign
• Between 70% and 85% are served 'no more than 1' viewable impression
• Between 50% and 65% are served ads for no longer than 5 seconds
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...