News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top model agency responds to baby boomer spending power
The growing buying power, and lust for life, of the post-war baby boomer generation has led to one of Europe's leading model agencies to launch a new division - RETRO.
According to Helen Illes, founder of MOT Models, it is those aged between 50 and 70 who have true spending power and, unlike previous generations of that age, they continue to dress with style and have a sense of adventure.
However, this demographic is often overlooked by marketers who instead focus their efforts on younger demographics. With the "silver pound" economy worth an estimated £43 billion (US$52 billion) in annual spending, and 50% of the population in the US over 50 and controlling over 70% of all disposable income, businesses that do not address baby boomers are missing out on an affluent and large audience.
Marketers looking to target baby boomers need to tailor their campaigns to fit in with a global trend. That is, baby boomers want to see real people portrayed "with laughter lines rather than unrealistic, bland, over-edited features", says Illes. "They require someone with a strong presence and a genuine smile to capture their attention."
MOT Models' newly launched RETRO division, featuring models such as Simon Spalding and Remco Van Der Linden, addresses the needs of marketers looking to target baby boomers.
"We are experiencing a shift with big brands who are looking for real life characters with true life skills," says Illes. "These models must reflect the customers and showcase the brand's sophisticated qualities. Advertisers need individuals who won't be eclipsed by big brands."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...